How Do You Solve a Complex Divergence Problem Using Spherical Coordinates?

In summary: I tried using the Jacobian thinking it would clean up the integrand but I didn't really get anywhere, and my professor told me we are not doing a change of variables here. Thanks in advance.You somehow have to perform the dot product. You have F in Cartesian but not dS. I assume you're allowed to put dS in Cartesian? If not, I don't know how you're expected to continue.
[Quadratic]

Homework Statement

Apologies for the attachment.

XuIvD8u.png

Homework Equations

Limit definition of the divergence as seen in attachment
Volume of a sphere: [itex]\frac{4}{3}\pi r^{3}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I did was parameterize the vector function F(x,y,z) = <xy,x,y+z>
My parameterization is as follows:

[itex]
x = a+rcos\vartheta sin\varphi \\
y = b+rsin\vartheta sin\varphi \\
z = c+rcos\varphi \\
dS = S_{\varphi} X S_{\vartheta} d\varphi d\vartheta
[/itex]

Setting up the limit and integral:
[itex]
lim_{r\rightarrow0}\frac{1}{\frac{4}{3}\pi r^3} \int^{2\pi}_{\vartheta=0} \int^{\pi}_{\varphi=0} <(a + rcos\vartheta sin\varphi)(b + rsin\vartheta sin\varphi),a + rcos\vartheta sin\varphi,rsin\vartheta sin\varphi + c + rcos\varphi> \bullet S_{\varphi} X S_{\vartheta} d\varphi d\vartheta \\
[/itex]

I apologize for the large attachment and my messy latex. Any suggestions to clean it up are welcome. Am I on the right track so far, before I continue? I tried using the Jacobian thinking it would clean up the integrand but I didn't really get anywhere, and my professor told me we are not doing a change of variables here. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You somehow have to perform the dot product. You have F in Cartesian but not dS. I assume you're allowed to put dS in Cartesian? If not, I don't know how you're expected to continue.

haruspex said:
You somehow have to perform the dot product. You have F in Cartesian but not dS. I assume you're allowed to put dS in Cartesian? If not, I don't know how you're expected to continue.

I really don't know. My teacher is rather "disorganized" to put it lightly and frequently makes mistakes on our exams. For example our last exam had 12 problems, and 5 of them had pretty critical errors and were not corrected until around an hour into the exam. He also assigns us problems that require methods he skips over in his lectures. Look at me, now I'm just complaining :)

Almost everyone in the class is having trouble with this, and our professor assured us he worked this one out and it is solvable.

[Quadratic];4574654 said:
I really don't know. My teacher is rather "disorganized" to put it lightly and frequently makes mistakes on our exams. For example our last exam had 12 problems, and 5 of them had pretty critical errors and were not corrected until around an hour into the exam. He also assigns us problems that require methods he skips over in his lectures. Look at me, now I'm just complaining :)

Almost everyone in the class is having trouble with this, and our professor assured us he worked this one out and it is solvable.

OK, so assume you're allowed to put dS in Cartesian. Have you tried that?

1. What is a divergence problem in Calc 3?

A divergence problem in Calc 3 refers to a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the limit of a function as it approaches a certain point. This can be a challenging task because the function may behave differently at different points, making it difficult to accurately determine the limit.

2. Why are divergence problems considered tough and messy?

Divergence problems are considered tough and messy because they often involve complex functions and require a deep understanding of calculus concepts. Additionally, the process of finding the limit can be tedious and involve multiple steps, making it easy to make mistakes.

3. How can I approach a tough/messy divergence problem?

One approach to solving a tough/messy divergence problem is to break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can involve simplifying the given function or using algebraic techniques to manipulate the problem. It is also important to carefully consider the behavior of the function at different points in order to accurately determine the limit.

4. Are there any specific strategies or techniques for solving tough/messy divergence problems?

Yes, there are several strategies that can be helpful when solving tough/messy divergence problems. These include using L'Hopital's rule, identifying known limits, and using trigonometric identities. It is also important to be familiar with common convergence and divergence tests, such as the comparison test and the ratio test.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a tough/messy divergence problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a tough/messy divergence problem include not carefully considering the behavior of the function at different points, making algebraic errors, and not using convergence and divergence tests when applicable. It is also important to double check your work and make sure you have accurately found the limit.