1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc 3 Vectors

1. Sep 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let u= i-3j+2k, v=i+j, and w=2i+2j-4k. Find.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    ok so for d i did 3(sqrt(1^2-3^2+2^2))-5sqrt(1^2+1^2)+sqrt(2^2+2^2-4^2)
    and got 3sqrt(14) -5sqrt(2)+sqrt(8) but i know this is wrong because in the back of the book it says the answer is 2sqrt(37)
    and for part e i tried (1/sqrt(2^2+2^2-4^2))*sqrt(2^2+2^2-4^2) and came up with 1/sqrt(32)*sqrt(32) and the back of the book says the answer is 1/sqrt(6)i + 1/sqrt(6)j - 2/sqrt(6)k.
    i havent attempted part f yet. i thought it would be better to get part e straightened out first since they are similar. but could somebody point me in the right direction as to what i am doing wrong and maybe explain to me what the difference between part e and part f are. any help would be appreciated. thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2010 #2
    kevin0788 -

For part d, try computing the vector 3u-5v+w first, then determine the magnitude of the result. The difference between parts e, and d is in part e, you're finding the unit vector of w, and in part d, you're finding the magnitude of the unit vector of w.

- Sam
  4. Sep 6, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

||au+ bv|| is NOT equal to a||u||+ b||v|! As Samuelb88 said, first find 3u- 5v+ w, then find the norm.

No, that would be (1/||w||)||w||. First find 1/||w||= 1/sqrt{2^2+ 2^2+ (-4)^2}= 1/sqrt(24), not 1/sqrt(32), then multiply that number into each component of w.
    The result is a vector, not a number.
    Yes, after you have found the vector in (e), take its norm. However, it is true that, for a any non-negative number, ||av||= a||v|| so that ||(1/||w||)w||= (1/||w||)||w|| which is exactly what you did for (e)!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook