1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc AB Related Rates Problem

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A container of constant volume contains a quantity of gas under pressure. At t=0, the pressure is 4 psi and the temperature is 15°C per minute. What is the rate of change of the pressure inside the container at time t=0?

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\frac{P}{T}[/itex] = constant

3. The attempt at a solution

Taking the derivative of both sides and then simplifying, I ended up with:

T[itex]\frac{dP}{dT}[/itex] - P[itex]\frac{dT}{dT}[/itex] = 0

So solving for dP/dt:

[itex]\frac{dP}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{P}{T}[/itex][itex]\frac{dT}{dt}[/itex]

This is where I get stuck. I know P = 4 psi and dT/dt = 15°C per minute, but I can't figure out how to determine T. Without knowing the actual value of the constant in the original formula, I don't see how it is possible. The wording of the temperature value in the problem sounds odd to me. The only thing I can think of is that the temperature should be assumed to be 0°C at t=0 and so dP/dt does not exist. Is this it, or am I missing some way to find T?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

15°C per minute is not a temperature. It's the time rate of change of temperature. What is the exact wording of this problem?

4. Feb 7, 2012 #3
    That is the exact wording of the problem. That's why I said the wording was odd.

5. Feb 7, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Whoever wrote the problem made a mistake. I would get some clarification from the instructor as to what the real problem is.

6. Feb 7, 2012 #5
    That's what I expected, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook