1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc analysis - monotone sequences

1. Oct 11, 2005 #1
    I think I'm having some trouble on this. First I'll state what the question is then I'll show what i have and my reasoning. Determine if the sequence{b sub(n)} is convergent by deciding on monotonicity and boundness. given:
    b sub(n)=n^2/2^n

First I plugged in numbers for n starting with 1. after n=3 the sequence started taking shape and it appears to be approaching zero as n gets large. my feeling at this point is that its monotone decreasing with zero as the lower bound. I guess to prove this i would have to show that b sub(n+1)< b sub(n) thus impling that the lim b sub(n) = 0 or at least exists as n goes to infinity. my first step was to show that b sub(n+1) exists by way of induction. using n=1 in the given i find it true. here is where i start to question myself. b sub(n+1) = (n+2)^2/2^(n+1). I'm not sure how to simplify this but as i plug in numbers I can easily see that 0< b sub(n+1)< b sub(n) therfore leading me to conclude that there is a lim b sub(n) = 0 as n goes to infinity. Am I flawed in this thought process, or are there holes. In my induction part are there ways of simpliying the equation? help and comments are greatly appreciated as i am rusty and many years removed from my last calc class.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you need to show 0 < bn+1 < bn for general n, using induction.

(n+1)^2/2^(n+1) < n^2/2^n
    (n+1)^2/n^2 < 2^(n+1)/2^n
    n^2 + 2n + 1 < 2n^2
    etc...

4. Oct 12, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm puzzled by this: " my first step was to show that b sub(n+1) exists by way of induction."

Is there any question that n2/2n exists for all n?

Since it is also obvious that n2/2n is positive for all n (so that 0 is a lower bound), to use "monotone convergence" to show that it converges, you need only show that this is a decreasing sequence.

Generally speaking the best way to show that a sequence is decreasing (or increasing) is to compare successive terms. If bn+1< bn of all n then we must have bn+1- bn< 0 or, alternatively, bn+1/bn< 1.

In this case, because bn is defined as a fraction, I would try the latter of those: bn+1/bn= ((n+1)2/2n+1)(2n/n2)= (1/2)((n+1)2/n2). Can you show that (n+1)2/n2< 2? Well, that certainly isn't true for n= 1! What n is it true for?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?