Understanding the Formula for Volume in Calculus: Explained and Analyzed

• Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the book uses the formula 4\pi x^2 \Delta x for volume because they integrate the derivative of volume multiplied by the density function to get the mass. The volume of each infinitesimally thin shell is its area multiplied by the thickness dx, and the density function is multiplied to get the integrand. This is also equivalent to adding up the masses of infinitely many infinitesimally thin shells, going from radius 0 to 6. The density function at radius r is given by \frac{1}{1+\sqrt{r}}, and to find the mass of the entire ball, the integral of the surface area multiplied by the density function is taken from radius 0 to 6. Therefore,
UrbanXrisis
question is http://home.earthlink.net/~urban-xrisis/q.jpg [Broken]
answer for b is http://home.earthlink.net/~urban-xrisis/a.jpg [Broken]

My question is, why did the book use [tex]4\pi x^2 \Delta x[/tex] as the formula for volume? isn't that the derivative of the volume? since mass=density*volume, shouldn't the equation for volume be [tex]\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is the derivative of volume, correct. They integrate the derivative multiplied by the density function to get the mass. You can conceptualize it as adding up the masses of infinitely many infinitessimally thin shells, going from radius 0 to radius 6.

The volume of each infinitessimally thin shell is its area multiplied by the thickness [itex]dx[/itex]. Multiply this volume by the density function to get the integrand.

why does the book integrate the density?

They integrate the derivative multiplied by the density function to get the mass.

you never said "They integrate the derivative multiplied by the integral of density to get the mass."

I should have been more mathematical and said "they integrate [the derivative multiplied by the density function]" :smile:

Think of it this way: The area of a certain shell at radius [itex]r[/itex] from the center is [itex]4\pi r^2[/itex], so the volume of a very thin shell at radius [itex]r[/itex] from the center is approximately [itex]4 \pi r^2 dr[/itex] where [itex]dr[/itex] is the thickness (as the thickness goes to zero, the approximation becomes better and better, and in the limit it is exact). The mass of this shell is then given by its volume times its density, and the density at radius [itex]r[/itex] is given as

[tex]\frac{1}{1+\sqrt{r}}[/tex]

so the mass of such a shell is

[tex]\frac{4\pi r^2}{1+\sqrt{r}} \ dr,[/tex]

and to get the mass of the whole ball, we add together the masses of all such shells from radius zero to radius [itex]6[/itex], ie. take

[tex]\int_0^6 \frac{4\pi r^2}{1+\sqrt{r}} \ dr.[/tex]

Last edited:
sooo... it's more like "they integrate [the surface area multiplied by the density function]" ?

Yeah. Read my argument below that and see if you understand why they'd be doing that :smile:

yes, I understand totally, I just didnt know why the bok would write volume when it obiously is surface area. That just go me cofused

good :smile:

1. What is a "Calc book question"?

A "Calc book question" is a question that is typically found in a calculus textbook or study guide. It is usually a math problem that involves solving equations, finding derivatives or integrals, or applying other calculus concepts.

2. How can I solve a "Calc book question"?

To solve a "Calc book question", you can follow the steps outlined in the problem or use various calculus techniques such as integration, differentiation, or the fundamental theorem of calculus. It is important to carefully read and understand the question before attempting to solve it.

3. Are "Calc book questions" difficult to solve?

The difficulty level of "Calc book questions" can vary depending on your understanding of calculus and the complexity of the problem. Some may be relatively straightforward, while others may require more advanced skills and critical thinking. It is important to practice and seek help if needed.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve "Calc book questions"?

In most cases, it is recommended to solve "Calc book questions" without a calculator to improve your problem-solving skills and understanding of calculus concepts. However, some questions may require the use of a calculator or other mathematical software.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving "Calc book questions"?

The best way to improve your skills in solving "Calc book questions" is through practice. You can also seek help from a teacher, tutor, or study group. It is also important to review and understand the concepts and techniques used in calculus. Additionally, you can use online resources, such as practice problems and video tutorials, to supplement your learning.