1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc. Double Integrals: Setting Limits

1. Apr 2, 2005 #1
    Here is the question:

Let D be the region bounded by the y axis and the parabola x = -4y^2 + 3. Compute 'double integral: (x^3)y dxdy'

I'm having a hard time setting limits to the double integral. I got y = [-sqrt(3/4), +sqrt(3/4)] for one of the limits, but I don't know how to set the x limits for integration. Also, can someone show me an easy way to quickly find the limits of integration. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2005 #2
    For double integrals you always want the limits of the outer integral to be constants. Occasionally both integrals will have constant limits.

[tex] \int \int_D x^3y dx dy[/tex]

The region D is contained by x = 0 and x = 3-4y^2. Since your outer integral is dy, your y limits will be constant, and x limits will be variable. Your limits alon the x axis are given by x = 0, and x = 3-4y^2, and:

[tex] \int \int_0^{3-4y^2} x^3y dx dy [/tex]

Plot the graph of your domain to determine the range of y. You will see that the maximum y value occurs on the y axis, at x = 0.

Solving 0 = 3-4y^2, you find y = +/- sqrt(3/4).

The easiest way to find limits of integration is to sketch the region of integration.

The final integral becomes [tex] \int_{-\sqrt{3/4}}^{\sqrt{3/4}} \int_0^{3-4y^2} x^3y dx dy [/tex]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?