1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc: finding an equation

1. Sep 17, 2005 #1
    how do i work this?

find an equation for the plane that passes through the point (1,3,1) and contains the line x=t,y=t,z=-2+t

would the line equation be -2i+t(i+j+k)? and then would that mean that the direction or normal vector for the plane be i+j+k? and then what do you do? i have the answer and i can't get it....

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2005 #2
    to find the equation of a plane you need to have TWO distinct directional vectors and one point the plane passes through

you have been told that it contains the line - what is the directional vector of that line
    you need one more directional vector - a vector between the line and the point will give you this. Pick a point on the given line and find the vector between this point and the given point.
    the equation of the plane will look like this

[tex] P = (x,y,z) + sd_{1} + td_{2} [/tex]
    where s and t are scalar mutliples, d1 and d2 the directional vectors and x y z is the point

p.s. there are many possible answers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?