Solve Calc Homework: Optimization Problems | Help with v, Cost & Wages

• Thread starter prinzessin04
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, a friend in my calc class today told me you guys are amazing at answering his questions... so i asked him a few and found out that he was right! Thanks for the help!
prinzessin04
a friend in my calc class today told me you guys are amazing at answering his questions... i have some questions on a few optimization problems we have for homework

#1. Suppose that the cost of operating a truck in Mexico is 53+.31v cents per mile when the truck runs at a steady speed of v miles per hour. The top speed of the truck is 100 mph. Assume that the driver is paid 9 dollars per hour to drive the truck, and he is to begin a 2800 mile trip.

Write the cost of operating the truck in dollars, as a function of the speed v, for the planned trip:

Write the cost of driver's wages in dollars, as a function of the speed v, for the planned trip:

The total cost of the planned trip, as a function of the speed v, is the sum of the first two costs. Find the most economic speed for the planned trip, i.e., the speed that minimize the total cost is v=

so i found the derivative of the speed (f'(v)=.31)but I'm not sure if i need that since it seems like i need to make a whole new equation with the number they gave me... where do i go from here?? please help me :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
prinzessin04 said:
... i found the derivative of the speed (f'(v)=.31)
No, you didn't (according to the parenthetical); you found the derivative of the cost of operating the truck per mile wrt veloctiy.

prinzessin04 said:
... it seems like i need to make a whole new equation ...
Yes. Read this:
prinzessin04 said:
The total cost of the planned trip, as a function of the speed v, is the sum of the first two costs.
Optimization means minimization in this case. You want to minimize total cost, which must include the cost required to pay the driver. This cost can be expressed as a function of velocity. Then you add it to the one for operating the truck. Once you have done this, differentiate and minimize.

You found the derivative of something, but it's not the cost function--and it's not the speed.

Follow the directions! The cost function has two pieces, and they tell you enough info to figure out each piece. So figure out the pieces, add them to create the cost function. Then find the minimum of that function.

I'll do the first piece for you: the cost of operating the truck for a trip of 2800 miles, in dollars, is: 28*(53+.31v)

Note: turin beat me to it! :smile:

Last edited:
thanks i think i got part b) and c) now! you guys are great

1. What are optimization problems in calculus?

Optimization problems in calculus involve finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, given certain constraints. These types of problems are commonly used in economics, engineering, and other fields to find the most efficient solution to a problem.

2. How do I solve optimization problems in calculus?

To solve an optimization problem, you first need to identify the objective function and any constraints. Then, use derivatives to find the critical points of the function and determine whether they are maximum or minimum values. Finally, check the endpoints and any other relevant points to find the overall maximum or minimum value.

3. What is the role of the variable "v" in optimization problems?

The variable "v" in optimization problems usually represents the volume of a container or the velocity of an object. It is often used in conjunction with other variables to find the optimal value of a function.

4. How can I use calculus to help with cost and wage optimization?

In cost and wage optimization problems, calculus can be used to find the optimal level of production or labor that minimizes costs or maximizes profits. This involves setting up a cost or profit function and using calculus to find the critical points and determine the optimal value.

5. Can you provide an example of an optimization problem in real life?

One example of an optimization problem in real life is finding the dimensions of a rectangular garden that maximizes the area while minimizing the amount of fencing needed. This involves setting up an area function and using calculus to find the optimal dimensions that satisfy the perimeter constraint.