How can understanding limits help solve infinite series in Calculus II?

In summary: Doing so may help you understand the pattern that ╔(σ_σ)╝ is pointing to.In summary, the author is trying to solve a homework equation but is not sure how to get to an answer that is infinity. They have looked at what to do if the answer is infinity and determined that it is not correct. They have looked at examples and found that n^n/n! is increasing and not bounded above. Finally, they have shown that if n gets large, the last factor on the right remains 1, but what is happening to the factors on the left?
MillerGenuine

Homework Statement

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^\infty(-1)^n \frac{n^n}{n!}
[/tex]

Homework Equations

I can not find my limit as n approaches infinity. I know that the answer is infinity but I am not sure how to get it.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
n^n = n*n*n*n*n*...*n ( ntimes)
n! = 1 *2*3 ... *n

What can you say about

[tex]

\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{n^n}{n!}

[/tex]

Does it go to zero ?

EDIT
Fixed

Seems to me that it would become [tex] \frac{\infty}{infty}=1 [/tex]

MillerGenuine said:
Seems to me that it would become [tex] \frac{\infty}{infty}=1 [/tex]

How did you arrive at that answer ?

It is not correct.

[tex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{n^n}{n!} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{n*n*n*...*n}{1*2*3...*n} = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{n*n*n*...*n}{1*2*3...*n-1}

[/tex]
As n gets very large

n/1 = n
n/2 > 1
n/3 > 1
n/n-1 [tex]\cong 1 [/tex]

Last edited:
I just based it on the fact that i have an "n" in the numerator and an "n" in the denominator so plugging in infinity for both will give me 1. Which is clearly incorrect, but i just have no idea how to approach this problem.

MillerGenuine said:
I just based it on the fact that i have an "n" in the numerator and an "n" in the denominator so plugging in infinity for both will give me 1. Which is clearly incorrect, but i just have no idea how to approach this problem.

Well look at what I gave you .

Or simply look at a pattern

Lets use some examples

n=1

1^1/ 1! =1

2^2 /2! = 4/2 =2

3^3 /3! = 9/2

Can you see that n^n /n! is increasing and not bounded above.

In fact

n^n/n! > = n

Im sorry but its just not clicking for me. I see what you have shown and all i keep seeing in my head is infinity^infinity/infinity! which seems to be infinity/infinity=1
my apoogies if this sounds stupid but bare with me

MillerGenuine said:
Im sorry but its just not clicking for me. I see what you have shown and all i keep seeing in my head is infinity^infinity/infinity! which seems to be infinity/infinity=1
my apoogies if this sounds stupid but bare with me
Don't plug in infinity like that. Your thinking is dangerous :tongue2:

If we followed your logic then we could prove that
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{n}{n^2 +1} = 1 [/tex]

Read what I posted carefully maybe something would click or go to bed and attempt the problem tomorrow ( assuming it's night where you are it's 1:27 am here :wink:).

MillerGenuine said:
Seems to me that it would become [tex] \frac{\infty}{\infty}=1 [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\infty}{\infty} [/tex] is not a number. This is one of several indeterminate forms, others of which include 0/0, [tex] \infty - \infty, and [/tex], [tex] 1^{\infty} [/tex]

These are all symbolic and do not represent numbers. When you have a limit expression whose limit is any of these, the actual limit can come out to be anything.

Going back to what ╔(σ_σ)╝ said, an for your series is nn/n!. This is
[tex]\frac{n \cdot n \cdot n \cdot ... \cdot n}{1 \cdot 2 \cdot 3 \cdot ... \cdot n}[/tex]

or
[tex]\frac{n}{1} \cdot \frac{n}{2} \cdot \frac{n}{3} \cdot ... \cdot \frac{n}{n}[/tex]

As n gets large, the last factor on the right remains 1, but what is happening to the factors on the left?

Read what I posted carefully maybe something would click or go to bed and attempt the problem tomorrow
I think i may take your advice on going to bed & take a fresh look at it tomorrow because i just can not seem to understand this. I am sure if either of you were to explain in person It would be much easier to understand. I think the main problem is my lack of understanding the concepts of this class. my prof only teaches mechanics of problems so i struggle with conceptual calculus

MillerGenuine said:
I think i may take your advice on going to bed & take a fresh look at it tomorrow because i just can not seem to understand this. I am sure if either of you were to explain in person It would be much easier to understand. I think the main problem is my lack of understanding the concepts of this class. my prof only teaches mechanics of problems so i struggle with conceptual calculus

It's okay; my brain also I not functioning as I would like at this point too :).

Take some time to review limits as this is indispensable to discussions on infinite series.

What is an alternating series?

An alternating series is a series in which the signs of the terms alternate between positive and negative. For example, an alternating series could be written as 1 - 2 + 3 - 4 + 5 - 6 + ...

What is the formula for the nth term of an alternating series?

The formula for the nth term of an alternating series is (-1)^(n+1) * a_n, where a_n is the nth term of the series. This formula takes into account the alternating signs of the terms.

What is the Alternating Series Test?

The Alternating Series Test is a method used to determine whether an alternating series converges or diverges. It states that if the absolute value of the terms of the series decrease as n increases and the limit of the terms approaches 0, then the series converges.

What is the Alternating Series Remainder?

The Alternating Series Remainder is a measure of the error in approximating the sum of an alternating series. It is given by the absolute value of the (n+1)th term, where n is the number of terms used to approximate the sum. This remainder must be smaller than the desired error in order for the approximation to be accurate.

How do you use the Alternating Series Test to determine convergence?

To use the Alternating Series Test, you must first check if the absolute value of the terms of the series decrease as n increases. Then, take the limit of the terms as n approaches infinity. If the limit is 0, the series converges. If the limit is not 0, the series diverges. If the limit is inconclusive, further tests may be needed to determine convergence.