• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Calc. II and III in the summer

• Thread starter Weave
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I am thinking of taking Calc. II and III in the summer and seeking my teeth ino it.
My schedule would be something like:
Calculus II
1000-1215 Mon, Tues, Thurs
&
Calculus III
1500-1715 Mon,Tues, Thurs
Now of coarse I lack the integration techniques for Calc III but I could cover CalcII on my own before the classes actually start.
Is this reasonable?

Answers and Replies

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I am thinking of taking Calc. II and III in the summer and seeking my teeth ino it.
My schedule would be something like:
Calculus II
1000-1215 Mon, Tues, Thurs
&
Calculus III
1500-1715 Mon,Tues, Thurs
Now of coarse I lack the integration techniques for Calc III but I could cover CalcII on my own before the classes actually start.
Is this reasonable?
Nah, you don't need that many techniques. You'll probably learn the ones you need by the time you actually use them in Calculus III.

I agree with Jason, you don't start doing integration in 3 dimensions until the end of the course.

No, do one at a time. If you are going into science you better know calc III very well. Walking into it without calc II just sounds awful.

i'm actually surprised they are letting you register for both

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
No, do one at a time. If you are going into science you better know calc III very well. Walking into it without calc II just sounds awful.
Yeah, you do need to know Calculus III, but you don't need that much of Calculus III to do it.

Not everything has to be done linearly. Aside from basic integration techniques, what can you possibly need in Calculus III? You have line integrals, and so on, but that's all taught in Calculus III.

How to integrate, the chain rule, optimization, areas, integration by parts, direction fields.

You are taking a lot for granted because you already know it. If you are learning it for the first time they are not "basic intergration techinques", they are going to be his foundation.

I strongly recomend he does not take them at the same time.

Last edited:
How to integrate, the chain rule, optimization, areas, integration by parts, direction fields.

You are taking a lot for granted because you already know it. If you are learning it for the first time they are not "basic intergration techinques", they are going to be his foundation.

I strongly recomend he does not take them at the same time.
You do make a good point.

Calc II and Calc III at the same time? Sounds like a bad idea. I would advise against it and just take calc II and then calc III.