1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc. II and III in the summer

1. Mar 31, 2007 #1
    I am thinking of taking Calc. II and III in the summer and seeking my teeth ino it.
    My schedule would be something like:
    Calculus II
    1000-1215 Mon, Tues, Thurs
    &
    Calculus III
    1500-1715 Mon,Tues, Thurs
    Now of coarse I lack the integration techniques for Calc III but I could cover CalcII on my own before the classes actually start.
    Is this reasonable?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2007 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Nah, you don't need that many techniques. You'll probably learn the ones you need by the time you actually use them in Calculus III.

4. Mar 31, 2007 #3
    I agree with Jason, you don't start doing integration in 3 dimensions until the end of the course.

5. Mar 31, 2007 #4
    No, do one at a time. If you are going into science you better know calc III very well. Walking into it without calc II just sounds awful.

6. Mar 31, 2007 #5
    i'm actually surprised they are letting you register for both

7. Mar 31, 2007 #6

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yeah, you do need to know Calculus III, but you don't need that much of Calculus III to do it.

Not everything has to be done linearly. Aside from basic integration techniques, what can you possibly need in Calculus III? You have line integrals, and so on, but that's all taught in Calculus III.

8. Mar 31, 2007 #7
    How to integrate, the chain rule, optimization, areas, integration by parts, direction fields.

You are taking a lot for granted because you already know it. If you are learning it for the first time they are not "basic intergration techinques", they are going to be his foundation.

I strongly recomend he does not take them at the same time.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  9. Mar 31, 2007 #8
    You do make a good point.

10. Mar 31, 2007 #9
    Calc II and Calc III at the same time? Sounds like a bad idea. I would advise against it and just take calc II and then calc III.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?