1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc II Improper Integrals

1. Sep 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\int\frac{x}{(x^2+2)(x^2+2)}[/tex] dx from 0 to infinity

2. Relevant equations
    Improper integrals

3. The attempt at a solution
    Lim[tex]_{t->\infty}[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{t}{0}[/tex] ([tex]\frac{x}{(x^2+2)(x^2+2)}[/tex])

I tried integrating this by parts and also by partial fractions but neither seemed to lend itself nicely to the problem. (Choosing dv = (x^2+2)^(-2) made finding v ugly and based on the rules for choosing u shouldn't I choose x to be u?) And partial fractions didn't seem to work either. Any suggestions?
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a pretty ugly tex post but if you mean the integral of x*dx/(x^2+2) try u=x^2+2.
  4. Sep 27, 2008 #3
    I am still trying to play with the formatting, sorry, I will write it out in words in the mean time: the integral of x over (x^2+2)^2 dx.

But, yes, it seems like that simple u-substitution will work! Thank you ... I feel so silly for overcomplicating the problem!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?