1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc II: Integration problem

1. Jan 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Evaluate the indefinite integral:

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\int\frac{6}{x\sqrt{25x^2-1}} dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried a number of different substitutions, but this last one gets me the closest, I think.

[tex]\int\frac{6}{x\sqrt{25x^2-1}} dx = \frac{6}{5}\int\frac{1}{x\sqrt{x^2-\frac{1}{25}}} dx = \frac{6}{5}\int\frac{x}{x^2\sqrt{x^2-\frac{1}{25}}} dx[/tex]

let [tex]u=\sqrt{x^2-\frac{1}{25}[/tex]

[tex]du=\frac{x dx}{\sqrt{x^2-\frac{1}{25}}}}}[/tex]

This is where I want to substitute in, but it doesn't go. [tex]\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2-\frac{1}{25}}}}}}dx[/tex] fits in, except for the x^2 in the denominator which doesn't work with my substitution. I don't see where to go from here, or what I should have done differently.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 12, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Try a trig substitution x=cosecθ
  4. Jan 12, 2010 #3
    You're almost done: after substituting x^2=u^2+1/25 in the last integral you obtained, just bring 5 back into the integrand and then you need another substitution, basically, think of u=\sqrt(5)*cosh(x). Then you'll be left with a simple integral which is neccessarily required to be given a form like e^t/(1+e^2t) dt. From this point, you need one more substitution and then you are done by going back to x as you begin from this last one, pass t and u to definitely hit x again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook