How do I use partial fractions to solve \int\frac{7x^2+4x+5}{x^3+x} dx?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the integral \int \frac{7x^2+4x+5}{x^3+x} dx using partial fractions. The suggested decomposition is \frac{A}{x} + \frac{Bx+C}{x^2+1}. The coefficients are found by setting x=0 and solving for A, B, and C to make the equation an identity. However, there was confusion over the denominator which was actually x^3-x instead of x^3+x. Overall, the conversation provides helpful tips for solving integrals using partial fractions.
PCSL
[itex]\int\frac{7x^2+4x+5}{x^3+x} dx[/itex]

I have to solve this using partial fractions and all I could think of was breaking it up into:

[itex]\frac{A}{x}+\frac{B}{x^2+1}[/itex]

also I tried

[itex]\frac{A}{x}+\frac{B}{x^2}+\frac{C}{x^3}+\frac{D}{x}[/itex]
The reasoning behind this one was to split up original fraction into [itex]\frac{7x^2+4x+5}{(x^3+0)+x} dx[/itex]

Are either of these two even right? and if so I have no clue how to proceed.

Forgive me for not showing more work, but I have been staring at this for 30 minutes and can think of nothing. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
PCSL said:
[itex]\int \frac{7x^2+4x+5}{x^3+x} dx[/itex]

I have to solve this using partial fractions and all I could think of was breaking it up into:

[itex]\frac{A}{x} + \frac{B}{x^2+1}[/itex]

also I tried

[itex]\frac{A}{x} + \frac{B}{x^2} + \frac{C}{x^3} + \frac{D}{x}[/itex]

Are either of these two even right? and if so I have no clue how to proceed.

Forgive me for not showing more work, but I have been staring at this for 30 minutes and can think of nothing. Thank you.

For irreducible quadratic factors in the denominator (like x2 + 1), the numerator should be Ax + B. IOW, your decomposition should be:
[tex]\frac{A}{x} + \frac{Bx + C}{x^2+1}[/tex]

Try breaking it up into

[tex]\frac{A}{x}+\frac{Bx+C}{x^2+1}[/tex]

Mark44 said:
For irreducible quadratic factors in the denominator (like x2 + 1), the numerator should be Ax + B. IOW, your decomposition should be:
[tex]\frac{A}{x} + \frac{Bx + C}{x^2+1}[/tex]

Alright so then if I multiplied through by x would i have:

[tex]\frac{7x^2+4x+5}{x^2+1}=A + \frac{x(Bx + C)}{x^2+1}[/tex]

You need to solve for A, B, and C, and these values do not depend on x. Just do the algebra first.
[tex]\frac{7x^2+4x+5}{x^3+x} =\frac{A}{x} + \frac{Bx + C}{x^2+1}[/tex]

You're solving for A, B, and C so that this equation is an identity - true for all values of x other than those that make the denominators zero.

The first thing to do is to multiply both sides by x(x2 + 1)

When I solve for A, B and C - I get A=5, B=7, and C=4.

For the final answer i get:

[tex]5ln(x)+4arctan(x)+\frac{7}{2}ln(x^2+1)[/tex] when the real answer is [tex]5ln(x)+4arctan(x)+ln(x^2+1)[/tex] Thanks for helping me get almost to the end but can you help me figure out why my answer is different? I solved for B by dividing both sides by [tex]x^2[/tex]

Not to be a nuisance but I still need help.

Yea this stuff just gets a little getting used to. What do you need help with still? Are you unclear of the decomposing fractions?

Rayquesto said:
Yea this stuff just gets a little getting used to. What do you need help with still? Are you unclear of the decomposing fractions?

Thanks, this is what I don't understand:

PCSL said:
When I solve for A, B and C - I get A=5, B=7, and C=4.

For the final answer i get:

[tex]5ln(x)+4arctan(x)+\frac{7}{2}ln(x^2+1)[/tex] when the real answer is [tex]5ln(x)+4arctan(x)+ln(x^2+1)[/tex] Thanks for helping me get almost to the end but can you help me figure out why my answer is different? I solved for B by dividing both sides by [tex]x^2[/tex]

I think you screwd up a bit on the algebra.
A=5
A + B=7
C=4

Rayquesto said:
I think you screwd up a bit on the algebra.
A=5
A + B=7
C=4

Alright, is the equation

[tex]7x^2+4x+5=A(x^2+1)+Bx^2+Cx[/tex] correct for when I multiply both sides by [tex]x(x^2+1)[/tex] I'm kinda lost here for how I would solve for B. Wouldn't I divide by x^2, then set x=0, and that would give B=7?

yes.

if 7x^2 + 4x +5 = Ax^2 + A + Bx^2 +Cx

then how do you find the coefficients of A, B and C? (hint: the coefficients are directly associated with the powers of exponents).

Rayquesto said:
yes.

if 7x^2 + 4x +5 = Ax^2 + A + Bx^2 +Cx

then how do you find the coefficients of A, B and C? (hint: the coefficients are directly associated with the powers of exponents).

I get C=4 and A=5 easy. I can not for the life of be understand why B does not equal 7. I have no clue what your hint means. Why can't you divide both sides by x^2 and get B=7 if you set x=0??

PCSL said:
I get C=4 and A=5 easy. I can not for the life of be understand why B does not equal 7. I have no clue what your hint means. Why can't you divide both sides by x^2 and get B=7 if you set x=0??

First off, if you set x = 0, you can't then come around and divide by x2.
The equation you are solving is
7x2 + 4x + 5 = (A + B)x2 + Cx + A
This has to be identically true, so the coefficients of x2 and x and the constants have to be equal.

Thank you for you help, I think I have a better understanding of solving when the denominator is irreducible but my real problem was that the denominator in this particular problem was x^3-x not x^3+x... thank you all for your help, however.

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method of breaking down a complex rational expression into simpler fractions. This is often done in order to integrate the expression more easily.

2. How do you solve partial fractions?

To solve partial fractions, you first need to factor the denominator of the rational expression into linear factors. Then, you set up equations with unknown coefficients for each linear factor. These equations can be solved to find the values of the coefficients, which can then be used to rewrite the expression as a sum of simpler fractions.

3. What is the purpose of partial fractions in calculus?

The purpose of partial fractions in calculus is to make integration easier. By breaking down a complex rational expression into simpler fractions, it becomes easier to find the antiderivative and solve integration problems.

4. What are some common methods for solving partial fractions?

There are several methods for solving partial fractions, including the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of equating coefficients, and the Heaviside cover-up method. The most suitable method to use depends on the complexity of the rational expression.

5. Is it important to understand partial fractions in calculus?

Yes, understanding partial fractions is crucial in calculus as it allows for easier integration and solving of complex rational expressions. It is also a fundamental concept in higher level mathematics courses such as differential equations and complex analysis.