Calc III< confused on what he wants from directions, graphing a limit?

In summary, the person asked for a sketch of a space curve that would represent the limits of r(t), which are <t,sin t, cos t>. The two space curves given are the standard line x = t, and the standard parabola.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone! I have a worksheet and it says Graph the following limits:
(i) r(t) = <t,-t,t^2>;
(ii) r(t) = <t,sin t, cos t>

can that be transformed into a unit vector? like

r(t) = ti - tj + t^2k?
&
r(t) = ti + sin (t) j + cos(t)k

I'm confused on what he wants!

Physics news on Phys.org
They are not unit vectors, r(t) is a function of t in 3d space
He wants what ?

The two forms are equivalent. Now, can you sketch a graph for each?

okay i think he wants me to sketch the following space curves:
(i) r(t) = <t,-t,t^2>;
(ii) r(t) = <t,sin t, cos t>
how can i do this? he didn't go over anythig like this

What do you mean 'limits'? It seems to me that these are parametric equations...

The first one can be written as:

[tex]\left\{ \begin{gathered}
x = t \hfill \\
y = - t \hfill \\
z = t^2 \hfill \\
\end{gathered} \right[/tex]

thanks for the responce, TD... How can i graph that? like can i just do a straight line on x axis, then on y axis, then a parabola on z?

Find x,y,z relations without t
Use mathematica or any soft to sketch the figures and asks him *is that what you want Sir ?*

mr_coffee said:
thanks for the responce, TD... How can i graph that? like can i just do a straight line on x axis, then on y axis, then a parabola on z?
It's something like that yes. Imagine letting t run from small values to larger ones and for each t, the system gives you a point. Looking only in the x-direction, you'll get the standard line x = t, similar for y and in the z-direction, you get the standard parabola.

1. What is Calc III and how is it different from Calc I and II?

Calc III, short for Calculus III, is a college-level course that typically covers advanced topics in multivariable calculus. It builds upon the concepts learned in Calc I and II, but focuses on functions of multiple variables and vector calculus.

2. What are some common applications of Calc III?

Calc III is used in many fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and computer graphics. Some specific applications include optimization problems, calculating volumes and surface areas of 3-dimensional objects, and analyzing vector fields.

3. How do you graph a limit in Calc III?

To graph a limit in Calc III, you first need to understand the concept of a limit in multiple dimensions. You can then use techniques such as plugging in values, creating a table of values, or using technology like a graphing calculator or computer software to plot the limit. It may also be helpful to sketch the graph of the function to visualize the limit.

4. What is a vector field and how is it related to Calc III?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that assigns a vector (usually with both magnitude and direction) to each point in a given space. In Calc III, vector fields are used to represent and analyze physical phenomena such as fluid flow, magnetic fields, and gravitational forces.

5. What are some tips for succeeding in Calc III?

Some tips for succeeding in Calc III include staying organized, practicing regularly, seeking help when needed, and understanding the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas. It is also important to review the material from previous calculus courses and have a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry.