1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc III, confused on (x,y,z);

1. Aug 31, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone. I'm suppose to imagine the cartesian product or three-dimensional rectangular coordinate system (R^3 = {(x,y,z)|x,y,z R}) that the orgin is a source of gravity and a tight rope connects the point (10,0,0) to the point (10,0,0) to the point (0,10,0) on the tight rope holding their hand straight out to their sides so their boyd forms a cross. Which hand will be pointing in the postive z direction? Draw pictures describing this situation and make sue to account for the effect of the orgin being the only source of gravity. Did I draw the picture right? Here is my drawing: Picture

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 31, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. Since the origin is a "source of gravity", the person will be standing on the rope with his feet toward the origin and so his torso will be in the xy-plane, his arms stretched out perpendicular to the xy-plane and so parallel to the z-axis. Assuming, as in the picture (you seem to have left out some of the words), that the person is facing y-axis, since this is a right-hand coordinate system, his right hand will be pointing in the direction of the positive z-axis and his left in the direction of the negative z-axis.
  4. Aug 31, 2005 #3
    sorry about the double post, i'll keep it in the college section! Somtimes I don't know if my questions are too simplistic for college level even though it is.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?