Should Freshmen Take Calc III? Advice for Math Majors

In summary: If you're a math major and have done well in math classes up to this point, then you're probably good to go.
underacheiver
hey guys, i need some advice as to which math class to enroll in.
i just got accepted to college and will be starting first semester of freshman year in september.
i will be a math major, and i am really comfortable with math. So right now, i am in ap calc BC and i am confident that i can get a 5 on the AP test, which means i will be able to skip calc I and II. Being new to college, I'm not sure if starting with calc III right away is a good idea, since its a higher level math class and i don't want to fail, so I'm thinking if i should take calc II. But then again, i don't want to waste time learning things i already know.

is calc III easy enough to take first semester freshman year? any advice/comments will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
underacheiver said:
hey guys, i need some advice as to which math class to enroll in.
i just got accepted to college and will be starting first semester of freshman year in september.
i will be a math major, and i am really comfortable with math. So right now, i am in ap calc BC and i am confident that i can get a 5 on the AP test, which means i will be able to skip calc I and II. Being new to college, I'm not sure if starting with calc III right away is a good idea, since its a higher level math class and i don't want to fail, so I'm thinking if i should take calc II. But then again, i don't want to waste time learning things i already know.

is calc III easy enough to take first semester freshman year? any advice/comments will be appreciated.

How are your grades right now? Are you confident that you can put in the time necessary to make up the gaps? You may have to find help from your professor / TAs in order to learn what you need to learn. Are you confident that you'll be able to do that?

Also, what are your goals with your degree? GPA is always important of course, but it's more important for getting a PhD than for most other things, for example. Are you willing to risk your GPA to be able to take an extra upper level course or two during school?

I took BC calc and went straight to calc 3 in college. I think my background was fine, I just wasn't ready for college level courses when I started, and I was also starting in sophomore physics at the same time. I didn't get the grades freshman year that I should have and that I ended up getting my other years. I'm glad I went straight to calc 3 though, because it allowed me to double major and minor in 8 semesters. The double major has proven more helpful than a higher GPA would have been. It all depends on what you want to do though, and I had freshman friends in class with me who did get As.

Oh, and it varies by school of course, but from my experience calc 2 is considered the hardest. Calc 3 at my school was an extension of the easier parts of calc 1 and 2 to multiple dimensions, which I didn't have a problem with. I was lacking on calc 2 knowledge when it came to my physics courses though... the AP calc 2 content didn't cover everything we used in physics. I scored a 5 on the BC exam.

Calc 3 is not "upper level math." It's another easy peasy computation class. as to what kote says, that really depends. if you're a visual thinker and good at geometry etc., then calc 3 will be easier than calc 2. but if you struggle with visualizing things and are better at algebra, then calc 2 is a walk in the park next to calc 3.

awb1989 said:
It's another easy peasy computation class.

This statement is realtive

I would recommend taking Calc 2. It might be easy for you depending on your background, but college is a bit of a transition so it can't hurt to play it safe. Also, there is a lot of background material that students struggle with and forget in Calc 2, especially near the end of the course. Getting a solid foundation is more important than progressing through your courses more quickly. If you really feel like overachieving, you can ask your professor if there are any advanced problems that connect to the material but let you take it a step further.

Depends...If your a math major and Calc II is a rigorous, proof-based course, then go ahead and take it. If the Calc II course is a weeder "math for engineers" course, then it should be just like high school calculus except that the exam questions are harder. Calc III, IMO, is much easier than Calc I or II, since you will be learning calculus a second time around, except with more variables.

I'll chime in on the "just take Calc III side," but bubbles is right that if you're a math major and you can take a more rigorous Calc I/II sequence, you might want to do that. I don't buy into the "ease into college with courses you've already taken" idea -- total waste of money, and if your grades sag a bit in the first semester it's no big deal. You can pick up any bits of material you might have missed when you actually need it, rather than wasting your time on a bunch of stuff you already know.

1. Should I take Calc III as a freshman?

It depends on your academic background and goals. If you have completed Calculus I and II and feel confident in your math skills, then taking Calc III as a freshman may be a good idea. However, if you struggled in previous math courses or do not plan on pursuing a math-related major, it may be better to wait.

2. How difficult is Calc III compared to previous math courses?

Calc III is typically considered more challenging than Calculus I and II. It introduces new concepts such as vectors, partial derivatives, and multiple integrals. However, if you have a strong foundation in Calculus and are willing to put in the effort, you can succeed in Calc III.

3. Will taking Calc III as a freshman benefit me in the long run?

Yes, taking Calc III as a freshman can have several benefits. It will allow you to complete your math requirements earlier and potentially open up more advanced math courses for you in the future. It can also help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that will be useful in many fields.

4. What are some tips for success in Calc III?

Some tips for success in Calc III include attending all lectures and taking thorough notes, practicing regularly, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and collaborating with peers. It is also important to review and solidify your understanding of previous math concepts before moving on to new ones.

5. How can taking Calc III benefit me as a math major?

Calc III is a foundational course for many upper-level math courses, so taking it as a freshman can give you a head start in your studies. It can also help you strengthen your problem-solving abilities and prepare you for more advanced math courses in the future.