Calc III: Finding Partial Derivatives for a Challenging Integral Function

• Thread starter falcon0311
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calc iii
In summary, Calc III, or Calculus III, is a course that focuses on multivariable and vector calculus and is important because it builds upon concepts learned in earlier courses and is essential for many advanced fields in science and engineering. The topics covered in Calc III include vector algebra, multivariable functions, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus, with applications in physics, engineering, and other areas. To improve understanding, students can practice solving problems, use visual aids, and seek help from tutors or study groups. Resources for Calc III help include textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and university resources such as tutoring services. To succeed in Calc III, students should attend lectures, participate in class, stay organized, study regularly
falcon0311
From what I can remember, this wasn't covered in my class, however it was a bonus question on a test, and I was wondering if someone could take the time to enlighten me on this one.

Find [tex]\frac{\delta f }{ \delta x} [/tex] and [tex]\frac{\delta f }{ \delta y} [/tex] when

[tex]f(x,y) = \int _x ^{x^3y} \sin (t^2) dt[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
This may help:

[tex]\frac {d}{dx} \int^x f(x') dx' = f(x)[/tex]

Finding partial derivatives for an integral function can be a challenging task, but it is an important skill to have in Calculus III. To find the partial derivatives \frac{\delta f }{ \delta x} and \frac{\delta f }{ \delta y}, we will use the fundamental theorem of calculus and the chain rule.

First, let's rewrite the function as follows:

f(x,y) = \int _0 ^x \sin (t^2) dt + \int _x ^{x^3y} \sin (t^2) dt

Using the fundamental theorem of calculus, we can rewrite the first integral as:

\int _0 ^x \sin (t^2) dt = \frac{d}{dx} \int _0 ^x \sin (t^2) dt = \sin (x^2)

Next, we can use the chain rule to find the derivative of the second integral:

\frac{d}{dx} \int _x ^{x^3y} \sin (t^2) dt = \sin (x^6y^2) \cdot \frac{d}{dx} (x^3y) = 3x^2y \cdot \sin (x^6y^2)

Therefore, the partial derivative with respect to x is:

\frac{\delta f }{ \delta x} = \frac{d}{dx} ( \sin (x^2) + 3x^2y \cdot \sin (x^6y^2) ) = 2x \cos (x^2) + 6x^2y \cos (x^6y^2)

Similarly, we can find the partial derivative with respect to y using the chain rule:

\frac{\delta f }{ \delta y} = \frac{d}{dy} ( \sin (x^2) + 3x^2y \cdot \sin (x^6y^2) ) = 3x^2 \sin (x^6y^2)

In summary, to find the partial derivatives of a challenging integral function, we can use the fundamental theorem of calculus and the chain rule. It may seem daunting at first, but with practice, it will become easier to tackle such problems. I hope this explanation has helped you understand how to find partial derivatives for an integral function.

1. What is Calc III and why is it important?

Calc III, short for Calculus III, is the third course in the calculus series that focuses on multivariable and vector calculus. It is important because it builds upon the concepts learned in Calc I and II and is a foundation for many advanced fields in science and engineering.

2. What topics are covered in Calc III?

In general, Calc III covers topics such as vector algebra, multivariable functions, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus. It also includes applications of these concepts in physics, engineering, and other areas.

3. How can I improve my understanding of Calc III?

To improve your understanding of Calc III, it is important to practice solving problems and to seek help when needed. You can also try using visual aids, such as graphs and diagrams, to better understand the concepts. Additionally, studying with a group or seeking the guidance of a tutor can be helpful.

4. What resources are available for Calc III help?

There are many resources available for Calc III help, including textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Your university or college may also have resources such as tutoring services or study sessions specifically for Calc III.

5. How can I succeed in Calc III?

To succeed in Calc III, it is important to attend lectures and actively participate in class. It is also crucial to stay organized and keep up with the material by studying regularly. Additionally, seeking help when needed and practicing problem-solving can greatly improve your understanding and success in the course.