Calc III, Inequalitites problem

• Thread starter mr_coffee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calc iii
In summary, the given equations and inequalities represent a solid sphere with a radius of 4 and a block with a height of 2 and width and depth extending infinitely. The intersection of these two shapes forms the top quarter of a tennis ball.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm having some troubles figuring this out. I'm supppose to Describe the set of points whose coordinates satisfy the given equations and inequalitites. Sketch the graph.

x^2 + y^2 + z^2 ≤ 16, 2 ≤ y ≤ 4;

I forgot the rules of inequalitites, I see its an equation of a sphere and the plane is going to be parallel to the xz-plane but I'm lost after that. Any help would be great! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question?
If you are supposed to find the volume:
The answer is 40pi/3
If you are supposed to find the curved surface area,it is:16pi
If you are supposed to find the total surface area,it is 28pi

balakasldkfaje, your answers are all irrelevant. Coffee, it wants you to describe the surface of intersection. The first equation is a ball (almost literally), and the second is a block. If you have some graphing software its easy to see but I can understand why your having difficulty imagining these.

They intersect and make a funny lookin shape, kinda like if you hsaved the head off of a tennis ball.

The 1st inequality is a solid sphere. The 2nd inequality limits the values of y-coordintes.

In fact, it's only the top quarter of the tennis ball that is left.From y = 2 to y = 4.

1. What is the definition of an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two quantities, with one being greater than, less than, or not equal to the other. It is represented using symbols such as <, >, ≤, and ≥.

2. What is the difference between an inequality and an equation?

An inequality shows a relationship between two quantities, while an equation shows that two quantities are equal. In an equation, the left and right sides must have the same value, while in an inequality, the two sides can have different values.

3. How do you graph an inequality?

To graph an inequality, you first need to solve it for the variable on one side of the inequality sign. Then, depending on the type of inequality, you will either draw a solid or dashed line on the graph and shade the appropriate region above or below the line.

4. What is the solution set of an inequality?

The solution set of an inequality is the set of all values that make the inequality true. This can be represented on a number line or graph, and can also be written using interval notation.

5. How do you solve an inequality involving multiple variables?

To solve an inequality with multiple variables, you will need to use algebraic techniques such as combining like terms, factoring, and isolating the variable on one side of the inequality sign. You may also need to use the properties of inequalities, such as multiplying or dividing by a negative number, to solve the inequality.