1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc III infinite integration

1. Nov 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Evaluate the limit
    1 1 1
    lim ∫ ∫ ... ∫ cos^2((pi/2n)(x1 + x2 +... xn))dx1 dx2 ... dxn
    0 0 0
    n→∞

2. Relevant equations
    Well, I know that we can change this using a double angle rule, so that the integrals become 1/2 + 1/2 cos (2*pi/2n)(x1 + x2 +... xn))dx1 dx2 ... dxn

and the integral over the 1/2 just becomes 1/2, but the other side baffles me.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My professor tried to do this, but I don't agree with his methodology. When he integrated it, he got pi/n out front, and if you keep integrating, this would go to pi^n / n^n . However, the integral should produce n^n / pi^n if I'm not mistaken, meaning this would diverge to infinity, and not go to zero like he said. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Show the working for the definite integral over x1 first.

4. Nov 17, 2014 #3
    Okay, so the first integral gives n/pi (sin(pi)), and the sin(pi) = 0, so you'd be integrating 0 from there on out. Is that correct?

5. Nov 18, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Why? ##cos^2(\pi/(2n))## is a constant as far as any of the integrations are concerned. You can bring it out of all of the integrals.

Edit: Never mind. I didn't count enough parentheses.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  6. Nov 18, 2014 #5
    Whoops, that's my bad. All of the x terms are inside the cosine as well, and all of them are multiplied by the pi/2n, so

cos^2( (pi/2n)*(x1 + x2 +... xn) )

7. Nov 18, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

...putting ##X_m=\sum_{i=m}^n x_i## (saves typing)
    $$\int_0^1 \cos \frac{\pi}{n}(x_1+X_2)\;dx_1 = \frac{n}{\pi}\big[\sin \frac{\pi}{n}(1+X_2)-\sin \frac{\pi}{n}X_2\big]$$ ... but I'm a little distracted.

@Mark44
    The original problem is:
    $$\lim_{n\to\infty}\int_0^1\cdots\int_0^1 \cos^2\left(\frac{\pi}{2n}X_1\right)\;dx_1\cdots dx_n$$

8. Nov 18, 2014 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, my bad. What you wrote was clear, but I misread it.

Gotcha.

9. Nov 18, 2014 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It might help to use the fact that ##\cos(w)## is the real part of ##e^{iw}##, so you need to integrate
    [tex] \int_0^1 \int_0^1 \cdots \int_0^1 e^{i c (x_1 + x_2 + \cdots + x_n)} \, dx_1 \, dx_2 \cdots \, dx_n,[/tex]
    where ##c = \pi/n##. The exponential factors into separate factors for each variable, and so the n-fold integration is just the product of single-variable integrals. You can pull the "real part" operator outside all the integrals (why?).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted