Calc III + Linear Algebra

In summary, it seems like taking these courses all together might be a good idea if you're able to do well in all of them and don't have any other obligations.
Leptos
Is it a good idea to take Calc III + Linear Algebra I + Discrete Mathematics all in the same semester? In terms of scheduling for the Fall 2010 semester, this type of courseload was the best way for me to setup my schedule...

I've done some self study for Calc III and Linear Algebra I so it's not like I'm just fondling around in the dark, but I know I will be spending a lot of time at home practicing and doing homework for the classes.

Anyway, what advice do you guys have?

Physics news on Phys.org
Leptos said:
Is it a good idea to take Calc III + Linear Algebra I + Discrete Mathematics all in the same semester? In terms of scheduling for the Fall 2010 semester, this type of courseload was the best way for me to setup my schedule...

I've done some self study for Calc III and Linear Algebra I so it's not like I'm just fondling around in the dark, but I know I will be spending a lot of time at home practicing and doing homework for the classes.

Anyway, what advice do you guys have?

I took calc III, linear algebra, and differential equations all in the same semester and was able to pass all of them; it helped in calc III and diffy q the intructors took the test question right from homework/lectures respectively, its doable I say

Leptos, I'll be taking the same 3 courses as you this fall, in addition to a soph level mechanics class. I have no idea if it's a good idea so I'm interested to hear some more responses as well.

kylem said:
Leptos, I'll be taking the same 3 courses as you this fall, in addition to a soph level mechanics class. I have no idea if it's a good idea so I'm interested to hear some more responses as well.
I'm also taking principles of physics I(part of a 1 year program that covers calcphysics 1-3), and English 102 since that's supposedly a degree requirement.

Hopefully 17.5 credits won't be an overload.

Last edited:

I cannot give specific advice on your personal academic schedule. However, I can provide some general considerations to keep in mind when deciding whether to take Calc III and Linear Algebra I together with Discrete Mathematics.

Firstly, it is important to consider the workload and difficulty of each course. Calc III and Linear Algebra I are both advanced math courses and can be quite challenging, especially if you have not taken them before. Adding Discrete Mathematics on top of that can make for a very demanding workload. Make sure you are prepared to dedicate a significant amount of time and effort to each course.

Additionally, consider your own learning style and strengths. Are you comfortable with abstract concepts and comfortable with self-study? If so, taking all three courses together may be manageable for you. However, if you struggle with abstract concepts and need more hands-on instruction, it may be better to spread out these courses over multiple semesters.

Another factor to consider is the overlap in content between these courses. Linear Algebra and Discrete Mathematics both involve a lot of algebraic manipulation and problem-solving, so taking them together may help reinforce your skills in these areas. However, if you are already comfortable with these concepts, it may be more beneficial to take one of these courses with a different type of math course to diversify your skill set.

Ultimately, the decision to take Calc III, Linear Algebra I, and Discrete Mathematics together will depend on your specific academic goals, abilities, and schedule. It is important to carefully consider all these factors and make a decision that will set you up for success in your studies. It may also be helpful to consult with your academic advisor for their input and guidance.

1. What is the difference between Calc III and Linear Algebra?

Calc III is a continuation of Calculus I and II, focusing on multivariable calculus and vector calculus. Linear Algebra, on the other hand, is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector spaces and linear equations. While both involve working with vectors and matrices, Calc III focuses more on calculus concepts and applications, while Linear Algebra is more abstract and theoretical.

2. How are Calc III and Linear Algebra related?

Calc III and Linear Algebra are related in that they both involve vectors and matrices. In Calc III, vectors are used to represent curves and surfaces in three-dimensional space, while in Linear Algebra, vectors are studied as abstract mathematical objects. Additionally, both subjects use matrices to solve systems of equations and perform transformations.

3. Which subject should I take first, Calc III or Linear Algebra?

It is generally recommended to take Calculus III before Linear Algebra, as Calc III builds upon the concepts learned in Calculus I and II. However, some universities may offer Linear Algebra as a prerequisite for Calc III, so it is important to check with your academic advisor or department for their specific recommendations.

4. Are there any real-world applications for Calc III and Linear Algebra?

Yes, both Calc III and Linear Algebra have numerous real-world applications. Calculus III is used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze complex systems. Linear Algebra is used in computer graphics, data analysis, and machine learning, among other fields, to solve systems of equations and perform transformations.

5. How can I prepare for Calc III and Linear Algebra courses?

To prepare for Calc III and Linear Algebra, it is important to have a solid understanding of basic calculus and algebra concepts. It may also be helpful to review vectors and matrices, as these are fundamental concepts in both subjects. Additionally, practicing problem-solving and critical thinking skills can help prepare for the more abstract and theoretical aspects of Linear Algebra.