Calc III or Diff Eq: Which to Take First?

In summary, the conversation discusses the benefits of taking Differential Equations and Calculus III and whether it is better to take one before the other or both at the same time. The participants mention that taking Differential Equations directly after Calculus II is recommended by advisors and those who have taken the courses before. This is because Differential Equations builds upon concepts learned in Calculus II. However, taking both courses simultaneously is also an option for those who excel in math.
kdinser
I am considering taking 1 or the other and possibly both next semester. Is there any advantage to taking one of them first, will taking calc III help me with diff eq or vice versa?

Physics news on Phys.org
My advisor and everyone I knew ahead of me recommended taking Diff Eq directly after Calc II. After having Diff Eq and Calc III, I recommend the same thing; take diff eq directly after calc II and then take calc III.

The reason is because Diff Eq builds off of a lot of that you learn in Calc II, sequences and series for example.

DaVinci makes a very good point, it does help to take them that way I would think.

Now if you normally get all A's and stuff then just take both at the same time, that's what I did.

1. What is the difference between Calc III and Diff Eq?

Calc III, also known as Multivariable Calculus, focuses on the study of functions of multiple variables and their derivatives. Diff Eq, short for Differential Equations, is a branch of mathematics that deals with equations involving derivatives and their applications.

2. Which course is more challenging?

This can vary from person to person, but generally Diff Eq is considered more challenging because it requires a strong understanding of Calculus concepts and the ability to apply them to solve complex equations.

3. Can I take Calc III without taking Diff Eq first?

Yes, it is possible to take Calc III before Diff Eq. However, it is recommended to have a solid understanding of Calculus concepts and techniques before taking Calc III, as it builds upon the material learned in Calc I and II.

4. Which course should I take first?

It ultimately depends on your academic goals and personal preference. If you are pursuing a degree in a STEM field, it may be beneficial to take Diff Eq first as it is a required course for many majors. If you are more interested in the applications of Calculus, then taking Calc III first may be a better choice.

5. What are the benefits of taking both courses?

Taking both Calc III and Diff Eq can provide a well-rounded understanding of Calculus and its applications. These courses are also important for many majors and can open up opportunities for further study in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics.