Equation of Plane Passing Through Two Points Parallel to x-axis

In summary, to find the equation of a plane parallel to the x-axis passing through points (a,b,c) and (e,f,g), you first find the vector <e-a,f-b,g-c>. Then, take the cross product of that vector and the direction vector <1,0,0> to get <i,j,k>, which can be used as A, B, and C in the equation of the plane Ax+By+Cz+D=0. To find D, you can plug in a point on the plane, such as <a,b,c> or <d,e,f>, and solve for D.
economics

Homework Statement

Plane passes through points (a,b,c) and (e,f,g) parallel to x-axis
Find the equation of plane Ax+By+Cz+D=0
General question for this--(a,b,c) and (e,f,g) can be any points in space

Homework Equations

Below

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I find the vector <e-a,f-b,g-c>
Then, I know parallel to x-axis implies that direction vector is <1,0,0>
Next, I do cross product between first vector and second vector. I would then get <i,j,k>.
So, how do i use this information to get equation of the plane? Do i use <i,j,k> from cross product as A,B,C, in the equation of the plane? How do I find D? Is this attempt even correct?

Thanks for any info. Calc III is awesome!

Physics news on Phys.org
economics said:
Calc III is awesome!

At least you have a positive attitude towards the material! Yes, you are on the right track. The cross product of the direction vectors is a normal to the plane. And that gives you A, B and C. To find D, you put a point on the plane like <a,b,c> or <d,e,f> into the equation for x, y and z and solve for D.

Thanks again for the solutions. I figured the problem out with your assistance.

1. What is Calc III and why is it important to study?

Calc III, also known as Multivariable Calculus, is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of multiple variables. It is important to study because it provides a foundation for understanding more complex mathematical concepts and is essential for many fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What topics are typically covered in a Calc III course?

A typical Calc III course covers topics such as vectors, partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and theorems such as the gradient, divergence, and curl.

3. How can I effectively self-study for Calc III?

To effectively self-study for Calc III, it is important to have a strong foundation in Calculus I and II. Additionally, practicing with a variety of problems and seeking help from online resources or a tutor can greatly improve understanding and retention of the material.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in Calc III problem-solving?

Some common mistakes to avoid in Calc III problem-solving include not fully understanding the concepts before attempting to solve problems, forgetting to use the correct notation for vectors and multiple variables, and not checking for symmetry or using the wrong coordinate system.

5. How can I apply Calc III to real-world problems?

Calc III can be applied to real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to model the motion of objects in three-dimensional space, calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects, and optimize functions in business and economics.