Calc III Projectile Homework: Muzzle Speed at 30 Degrees w/500m Max Height

In summary, the problem involves a gun being fired at an angle of 30 degrees with a maximum height of 500 m. The only known information is the angle, and the relevant equations to use are energy conservation and the vertical component of velocity. The rest of the information can be found by integrating the equation for the vertical component of velocity and determining the useful value at maximum height.
undrcvrbro

Homework Statement

A gun if fired with an angle of elevation of 30 degrees. What is the muzzle speed if the maximum height of the shell is 500 m?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't gotten very far at all. I'm not sure how to even start this one. I know that because the angle is 30 degrees:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(\sqrt{3}i + k)[/tex]

The above is the only bit of info that I'm sure I should use in this problem. The rest of this is just to show you what I actually know...I'm not sure if the following will help me solve this problem or not...

[tex]\\a(t) =-gi[/tex]

Sorry If I'm not giving you much to work with. Any thing to help get me started would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a simple physics problem. Why don't treat it as a physics problem then?

You are missing energy conservation.

rootX said:
It is a simple physics problem. Why don't treat it as a physics problem then?
I can't. If I used a Physics equations for a calculus homework my prof would probably be worried about my state of mind.

Does anyone want to get me started in the right direction?

Forget about the actual values of hight, velocity ect to begin with.

Set about working out the of max hight of a trajectory in terms of \theta and the initial velocity. Max hight is dependent only on the verticle component of the initial velocity. clearly the verticle movement of the projectile is subject to negitive accelleration due to gravity a=-g. integrate this equation (remember your intial verticle velocity?) and you have and equation for the verticle component of velocity.

What useful value does the verticle velocity take at max hight?

1. What is the formula for calculating muzzle speed in Calc III Projectile Homework?

The formula for calculating muzzle speed in Calc III Projectile Homework is:
V0 = √(g * H / sin(2θ))
where V0 is the muzzle speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, H is the maximum height (in this case 500m), and θ is the angle of elevation (in this case 30 degrees).

2. How do I solve for the muzzle speed in Calc III Projectile Homework?

To solve for the muzzle speed, simply plug in the given values for g, H, and θ into the formula V0 = √(g * H / sin(2θ)). Then use a calculator to find the square root of the result to get the muzzle speed in meters per second (m/s).

3. Can the angle of elevation affect the muzzle speed in Calc III Projectile Homework?

Yes, the angle of elevation (θ) can affect the muzzle speed. As the angle increases, the muzzle speed will decrease. In this problem, the angle of elevation is 30 degrees, which is less than 45 degrees. This means that the muzzle speed will be greater than if the angle were 45 degrees.

4. What is the significance of the maximum height (H) in Calc III Projectile Homework?

The maximum height (H) in Calc III Projectile Homework is the highest point that the projectile reaches. It is important because it is one of the given values needed to calculate the muzzle speed. It also shows the maximum height that the projectile can reach before falling back to the ground.

5. How can I use the muzzle speed in Calc III Projectile Homework?

The muzzle speed can be used to determine the initial velocity of the projectile. It can also be used to predict the trajectory of the projectile and calculate its position at any given time. Knowing the muzzle speed can also help in calculating the impact force of the projectile upon hitting a target.