1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc III vector fields

1. May 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the vector field given is conservative and find its potential function.

F(x, y, z)= (6x^2+4z^3)i +(4x^3y+4e^3z)j + (12xz^2+12ye^3z)k.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I take partial derivative with respect of y for (6x^2+4z^3) and partial derivative with respect of x (4x^3y+4e^3z) they are not equal, then is not conservative. I don't need to check the rest of them , b/c if one fail then it's not concervative.

What about the potential function? I don't think i have to do anything any more in this problem.

I will appreciate any help. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, that's true. This vector field is NOT conservative and so does not have a potential function.

Notice what would happen if you tried to find a potential function:
    You are looking for a function, F(x,y,z) such that
    [tex]\nabla F= \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial y}\vec{j}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial x}\vec{k}= (6x^2+ 4z^3)\vec{i}+ (4x^3y+4e^{3z})\vec{j}+ (12xz^2+12ye^{3z})\vec{k}[/tex]

So we must have
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial x}= 6x^2+ 4z^3[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}= 4x^3y+ 4e^{3z}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial z}= 12xz^2+ 12ye^{3z}[/tex]

From the first of those, [itex]F(x,y,z)= 3x^3+ 4xz^3+ g(y,z)[/itex] since the "constant of integration" may be a function of y and z. Differentiating that with respect to y,
    [tex]\frac{\partial F}{\partial y}= \frac{\partial g}{\partial y}= 4x^3y+ 4e^{3z}[/tex]
    but that's impossible since the left side is a function of y and z only while the right side depends on x.

I have to ask: are you sure you have copied the problem correctly? The problem asks "Show that the vector field given is conservative", not "determine whether or not it is conservative". If the coefficient of [itex]\vec{i}[/itex] were [itex]6x^2y^2+ 4z^3[/itex], then it would be conservative.

4. May 2, 2009 #3
    Thank you so much. I found a mistake, it is conservative and I found the potential function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook