Solve Calc Problem: Find y if dy/dt=ky and k is a Nonzero Constant

• Thread starter radtad
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a set of problems for homework, specifically one where the answer is known but cannot be obtained. The problem involves finding the possible values of y when given the equation dy/dt=ky with k as a nonzero constant. The correct answer is b, which is 2e^kt. The conversation also mentions the process of solving the problem, including the use of the constant of integration and potential typos in the answer choices.
radtad
We have a set of problems for hw. I am stuck on 1 where I know the answer but can't seem to get it.

If dy/dt=ky and k is a nonzero constant then y could be
a. 2e^kty b. 2e^kt c. e^kt d. kty+5 e. 1/2ky^2 +1/2

I know the answer is b but i can't get that answer
Here is my work
S=integral sign

dy/dt=ky
dy/y=kdt
Sdy/y=kSdt
lny=kt
e^lny=e^kt
y=e^kt

How do u get a 2 in there for choice b

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot about the constant of integration:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=ky [/tex]
[tex] \frac{dy}y=kdt [/tex]
[tex] \int{\frac{dy}y} = \int{kdt} [/tex]
[tex] \ln y = kt +C [/tex]
[tex] e^{\ln y} = e^{kt + C} [/tex]
[tex] y = e^{kt}\cdot e^C [/tex]
eC is also a constant, so it can be written as C1 if you like.The value of C1 will depend on the initial conditions. Unless there's a typo in your answer list, I can see two answers that are of this form:
b. [tex]y=2e^{kt}[/tex]
and c. [tex] y = e^{kt} [/tex]

I hope that helps.

thanks forgot the C and yea choice c was a typo it should be e^kt +3

What is the equation being solved in this problem?

The equation being solved is dy/dt=ky, where dy/dt represents the rate of change of a variable y with respect to time t, k is a nonzero constant, and y is the unknown variable that needs to be solved for.

What does k represent in this equation?

K represents a nonzero constant that is multiplied by the rate of change of y. It could represent a physical constant or a proportionality constant in a specific problem.

How do I solve for y in this equation?

To solve for y, you can use separation of variables by isolating dy on one side of the equation and dt on the other side. Then, integrate both sides and solve for y by plugging in the initial conditions (if given).

Can this equation be solved analytically?

Yes, this equation can be solved analytically by using integration techniques. However, if the equation is more complex or involves special functions, numerical methods may be needed for a more accurate solution.

What are some real-world applications of this type of equation?

This type of equation is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to model various systems and phenomena. For example, it can be used to model the growth of populations, the decay of radioactive substances, and the spread of diseases.