1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc Quest.

1. May 16, 2005 #1
    How would you find the volume of a standard football? Would you just represent it as an ellipse, and use the method of shells to evaluate the volume?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What do you mean "just represent it as an ellipse"? An ellipse is a two-dimensional object and a foot-ball is not. I presume you meant "an ellipsoid". If you know the formula for volume of an ellipsoid, go ahead and use it. If you don't then you would probably find the volume of an ellipsoid by using the method of shells anyway.
  4. May 16, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Actually, he ought to find the volume of a prolate spheroid, but I don't like American football to begin with, so it is a complete mystery to me why I entered this thread in the first place only in order to post a thouroughly anal comment about something I loathe.
  5. May 16, 2005 #4
    Put in a fixed volume of water, and collect the displaced amount - EUREKA!

- Ben
  6. May 16, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

See this sort of complicated problem wouldn't have arisen if you Americans played normal football with a nearly spherical object like the rest of the world. :biggrin: LOL

At any rate, this link might help : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prolate_spheroid
    Last edited: May 16, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?