1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc Question: Tangent Lines

1. Oct 24, 2005 #1
    I'm royally confused... dont even know where to start..

Find the point(s) on the graph of y = 1/x where the tangent line is parallel to 4x + 9y = 3. The m of 4x + 9y = 3 is -4/9 and sadly, thats all i know...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2005 #2
    can someone please help me?

4. Oct 24, 2005 #3
    First of all, what is the derivative of 1/x. Do you know how to calculate this? Remember that the derivative at some point x0 is the slope of the graph at that point.

5. Oct 24, 2005 #4
    hi. the derivative of 1/x = -1/ x^2, i believe.

6. Oct 24, 2005 #5
    what do i do next? do i just graph the two equations?

7. Oct 24, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean as opposed to actually answering the question??

The problem, as you posted it, "Find the point(s) on the graph of y = 1/x where the tangent line is parallel to 4x + 9y = 3."

You know that the slope of 4x+ 9y= 3 is -4/9, you know that the derivative of y= 1/x at any x is y'= -1/x2 and you know, because apmcavoy just told you, that the derivative at a point is the slope of the tangent line there. For what x is the derivative equal to -4/9?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?