Analyzing f'(x) to Find Relative Max/Min of f in Terms of p

In summary, In this conversation, a function is given by f(x)= (x^3)-(6x^2)+p. The derivative is f'(x)=(3x^2)-12x, and x is found to be 0,4. Relative maximum and minimum values of the function in terms of p are found to be 0=p and 32=p.
Vigo
Let f be the function given by f(x)= (x^3)-(6x^2)+p, where p is an arbitrary constant.

a)Write an expression for f'(x) and use it to find the relative maximum and minimum values of f in terms of p. Show the analysis that leads to your conclusion.

b)For what values of the constant p does f have 3 distinct roots?

c)Find the value of p such that the average value of f over the closed interval [-1,2] is 1.

For a), I found the derivative, which is f'(x)=(3x^2)-12x. I set that equal to 0, which gives me x=0,4. I put these values back into the original equation and got f(0)=o and f(4)=-32. In terms of p, I got 0=p and 32=p. Is this right?

I have no clue how to do b). I kind of know how to do c) but I would appreciate some help with it. Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) Your maximum and minimum values of f (f(0) and f(4)) should be in terms of p, as specified in the problem. p is a constant that is the same for any given case of the function. You have no requirement that f(x)=0, so you can choose whatever values of p you desire.

b) Try graphing f with p=0, and consider how changing the value of p would affect the graph.

For a), I've got the points in terms of p.

For b), I'm just not quite sure what they are asking for when they say "distinct roots."

For c), I know that to find the average value, you take 1/(-1-2) and multiply that by the definite integral of f'(x) from -1 to 2. Since it has to equal 1, do 1=(-1/3)(?) I am not sure what to put where the question mark is.

Vigo said:
For a), I've got the points in terms of p.
No, you don't. For some reason, you calculated f(0) and f(4), assuming p was 0, and then set that equal to p?
f(x)= x3- 6x2+ p. What is f(0)? What is f(4)? Do you see that the answer to those question still has "p" in it?

For b), I'm just not quite sure what they are asking for when they say "distinct roots."
"roots"- solutions to the equation. "distinct"- different.
A cubic equation such as x3- 6x2+ p= 0 may have 3 'distinct' solutions or it may have a "double root" or a triple root. What values of p guarantee that this equation does not have a double or triple root? (Hint: if a, b, c are distinct roots of polynomial Q(x) then Q(x)= d(x-a)(x-b)(x-c) so Q'(x)= d(x-b)(x-c)+ d(x-a)(x-c)+ d(x-a)(x-b). Setting x= a, b, c does NOT make that 0. If Q has a as double root and other root b then Q(x)= (x-a)[suQ]2[/suQ](x-b) so Q'(x)= 2(x-a)(x-b)+ (x-a)[suQ]2[/suQ] and Q'(a)= 0. If Q has a as triQle root, then Q(x)= (x-a)[suQ]3[/suQ] so Q'(x)= 3(x-a)[suQ]2[/suQ] and again Q'(a)= 0.) What values of Q guarantee that the same x value cannot make both Q and Q' equal to 0 (what values of x make Q'= 0? What is the value of Q(x) for those values of x?)

For c), I know that to find the average value, you take 1/(-1-2) and multiply that by the definite integral of f'(x) from -1 to 2. Since it has to equal 1, do 1=(-1/3)(?) I am not sure what to put where the question mark is.
Okay, so go ahead and do the integral! What is
[tex]\int_{-1}^2 (x^3- 6x^2+ p)dx[/tex]
THAT'S what you want.

1. What is the definition of a relative max/min in terms of p?

A relative maximum or minimum of a function in terms of p is a point on the graph where the slope of the tangent line is equal to zero, indicating a change in direction from increasing to decreasing or vice versa.

2. How do you find the relative max/min of a function using f'(x) in terms of p?

To find the relative maximum or minimum of a function using f'(x) in terms of p, you must first take the derivative of the function to find the critical points. Then, plug in the critical points into the original function to determine the corresponding y-values. The highest y-value is the relative maximum, and the lowest y-value is the relative minimum.

3. Can a function have more than one relative max/min in terms of p?

Yes, a function can have multiple relative maximums and minimums in terms of p. This occurs when the function has multiple critical points where the slope of the tangent line is equal to zero.

4. How can you use the second derivative test to confirm the relative max/min in terms of p?

The second derivative test involves taking the derivative of the first derivative to determine the concavity of the function at the critical point. If the second derivative is positive, the function is concave up and the critical point is a relative minimum. If the second derivative is negative, the function is concave down and the critical point is a relative maximum.

5. Is it possible for a function to have a relative max/min at the endpoints of an interval in terms of p?

Yes, a function can have a relative maximum or minimum at the endpoints of an interval in terms of p. This occurs when the function is defined on a closed interval, and the endpoints satisfy the conditions for a relative maximum or minimum.