Calc retareded vector potentail

• Thread starter leonne
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the author is trying to solve a homework equation that has four integrals. The first integral is for the small arch, the second is for the length, the third is for the larger arch, and the fourth is for the other length on the other side. The author is not sure what the integration is to in the book, but they get ln b/a because they are integrating over that straight line segment at distance x away. The author was just working on this two weeks ago.
leonne

Homework Statement

a wire bent into a loop it looks like [URL]http://www.pitt.edu/~medart/menuglossary/arch.htm[/URL] it carries a current increases linearly with time I=kt calc retarded vector potentaik

Homework Equations

A=[tex]\mu[/tex]o/4[tex]\pi[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex](k(T-r/c))/r) dl

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't understand one part.
so i have 4 integrals first one is for the small arch second one is the length third bigger arch and last the other length on the other side.
so i have [tex]\int[/tex]dl/r r is radius and so the smaller radius is a and i just have
1/a [tex]\int[/tex]dl I am not sure what the integration is to in the book, they have dl=2a x^ i am not seeing how they got 2a then the straight line dx/x same for here not sure why they integrate it from a to b they got ln b/a

Also for a similar problem but with straight line why did they add a factor of 2?
A=[tex]\mu[/tex]o/4[tex]\pi[/tex] 2z^ [tex]\int[/tex](k(T-r/c))/r) dz

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
they get ln|b/a| because they are integrating over that straight line segment at distance x away, and the radius changes from a to b . But they did it in Cartesian so they go from -b to -a but the negatives cancel once inside the log. As for the factor of 2 in the other parts i will have to think about it . But on those 2 arcs you would be integrating over the angle correct.

to late already had my final lol thanks anyways

Ya this was a problem out of Griffiths , I had to do this problem like a month ago.

yeah it is was just reviewing for finals

I was just working on this two weeks ago in Griffiths. I was going to post but I saw your response. Even after the finals, you should still try to learn it.

lol ok so how do u find the integrations?

1. What is a Calc retarded vector potential?

A Calc retarded vector potential is a mathematical concept used in the study of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with particles. It is a vector field that describes the potential energy of a charged particle due to its interactions with other charged particles and electromagnetic fields.

2. How is a Calc retarded vector potential calculated?

The Calc retarded vector potential is calculated using the Maxwell's equations, specifically the equation for the vector potential. It involves solving a set of differential equations using mathematical techniques such as Green's functions and Fourier transforms.

3. What is the significance of the Calc retarded vector potential?

The Calc retarded vector potential is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields. It is also used in the study of electromagnetism in various fields, such as physics, engineering, and chemistry.

4. How does the Calc retarded vector potential relate to other electromagnetic concepts?

The Calc retarded vector potential is closely related to other electromagnetic concepts, such as the electric and magnetic fields. It is also related to the electric potential and the magnetic vector potential, which together make up the electromagnetic potential.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Calc retarded vector potential?

The Calc retarded vector potential has various applications in different fields, including particle accelerators, electromagnetic wave propagation, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in the development of technologies such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) and particle detectors.