Calc tangent line approx

Now the true error is the difference between 1000 and V. (V is the volume you would get if the side were exactly 10cm). Now you can use the TLA formula in that general formf(a)+f'(a)(x-a)The general form isf(10)+f'(10)(x-10)Now f(10)=1000 and f'(10)=300. Plug those in1000+300(x-10)=1000+300x-3000=300x-2000That's the general form. Now let's find the actual error. The true volume isV=10.1^3=1030.301The error is 1030
gh_pluvilias

Homework Statement

You measure a cubic container and find it to be about 10 cm on each side. From this, you conclude that it holds 1000 cc. However, your measurement is accurate only to within ±0.1 cm. (So you can be sure that the side is between 9.9 and 10.1 cm.)

What are x, f(x) , and a in this problem?
Use the tangent line approximation to estimate the error in your value of 1000 for the volume.
Give the percent error in your measurement of the length of the side.
Give the percent error in your estimate of the volume.

Homework Equations

f(a)+f'(a)(x-a)

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't get this problem... this is all I've got figured out:
the width, w of the it is measured to be 10 cm with a error of plus or minus 0.1. V=10^3=1000. hence the 1000cc. I think I could use differentials to estimate max error in the calculated volume, but I don't know how to assign f(x), a and x... anyway this is what i have -- V=w^3 and V'=3w^2. So the differentials dV and dw I think would be related in dV=3w^2dw. Setting w to 10 yields dV=300dw

...and that's all I got.

Even if I am on the right track here I don't know where my equation fits into everything and how to answer the questions I'm given to begin with.

Please help, I need this soon!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, dV=300cm^2*dw. dw=0.1cm or -0.1cm. Because those are the differences between 10cm and 9.9cm and 10.1cm. That gives you an estimate for the change in V, which is estimated by dV, yes?

I'm not sure how to work this into the entire problem though, especially in regards to TLA

gh_pluvilias said:
I'm not sure how to work this into the entire problem though, especially in regards to TLA

dV=300cm^2*dw IS the TLA. It's not quite the same as the true error, it's an approximation. But it's close. The true errors are the difference between 1000cm^3 and (9.9cm^3) and (10.1cm)^3.

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of calculating the tangent line approximation?

The purpose of calculating the tangent line approximation is to estimate the behavior of a function at a specific point. This allows for a more accurate understanding of the function's behavior and can be useful in solving problems and making predictions.

2. How is the tangent line approximation calculated?

The tangent line approximation is calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line at a given point on the function and using that slope to create an equation for the line that closely approximates the behavior of the function at that point.

3. What information is needed to calculate the tangent line approximation?

To calculate the tangent line approximation, you will need the coordinates of the point at which you want to find the approximation and the equation of the function itself. You may also need to know the derivative of the function at that point.

4. Can the tangent line approximation be used for any type of function?

Yes, the tangent line approximation can be used for any type of function, including polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, and logarithmic functions.

5. What are the limitations of the tangent line approximation?

The tangent line approximation is only accurate at the specific point at which it is calculated and may not accurately represent the behavior of the function at other points. It also assumes that the function is continuous and differentiable at the given point.