Find the Distance and Angle to a Tall Building with Calc/Trig Homework Help!"

• Thread starter anthonym44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, a surveyor measures the angle from the ground to the top of a tall building, which is pi/3. After pacing 40ft away from the building, the angle is measured to be pi/4. Using trigonometry, the surveyor calculates the height of the building to be 94.8ft. They also calculate the angle if the distance is increased by 20ft, resulting in an angle of 39.5 degrees. The accuracy of the calculations are questioned and the thread is moved to "general math".
anthonym44
A surveyor stands on flat ground at an unknown distance from a tall building. She measures the angle from the horizonal ground to the top of the building; this angle is pi/3. next she paces 40ft further away from the building. the angle from the ground to the top of the building is now measured to be pi/4.

i think i got this one right, but I am new to the site so i thought i would just check myself with this problem. i got equation 40 + x = y beause the horizontal axis must equal the vertical when the angle is 45 degrees (pi/4). Then i used tan(60) = y/x to solve for x and then i subsituted eventually solving for y. my final answer is 94.8ft. part B asks for the angle if the person moves further back 20 ft. i just added that length to 94.8 and used tan to solve eventually getting the angle to be 39.5 degrees. If anyone has the time can they check the work to make sure i did it correctly? Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anthonym44 said:
A surveyor stands on flat ground at an unknown distance from a tall building. She measures the angle from the horizonal ground to the top of the building; this angle is pi/3. next she paces 40ft further away from the building. the angle from the ground to the top of the building is now measured to be pi/4.

i think i got this one right, but I am new to the site so i thought i would just check myself with this problem. i got equation 40 + x = y beause the horizontal axis must equal the vertical when the angle is 45 degrees (pi/4).
Then i used tan(60) = y/x to solve for x and then i subsituted eventually solving for y. my final answer is 94.8ft. part B asks for the angle if the person moves further back 20 ft. i just added that length to 94.8 and used tan to solve eventually getting the angle to be 39.5 degrees. If anyone has the time can they check the work to make sure i did it correctly? Thanks.
Wouldn't it be better to check it yourself? You say that the building has height 94.8 feet. The first distance from building is 94.8- 40= 54.8. Is tan(pi/3)= 94.8/54.8? The last distance is 94.8+ 20= 114.8. Is tan(39.4)= 94.8/114.8?

By the way, why are you converting from radians (as given) to degrees? Certainly your answer should be given in radians.

And, of course, this is not in any sense "calculus and analysis". I am moving the thread to "general math".

Your approach and final answer seem correct! Here is a step-by-step explanation in case you or other readers need it:

First, let's label the unknown distance from the building as x and the height of the building as y. We can then use the tangent function to set up an equation for the first scenario:

tan(pi/3) = y/x

We know that tan(pi/3) = sqrt(3), so our equation becomes:

sqrt(3) = y/x

Next, we can set up a similar equation for the second scenario, where the person moves 40ft further away:

tan(pi/4) = y/(x+40)

We know that tan(pi/4) = 1, so our equation becomes:

1 = y/(x+40)

Now, we have two equations and two unknowns (x and y), so we can solve for them. We can rearrange the first equation to solve for y:

y = sqrt(3)x

Then, we can substitute this expression for y into the second equation:

1 = (sqrt(3)x)/(x+40)

We can then solve for x by cross-multiplying and simplifying:

x = 40/(sqrt(3) - 1) ≈ 94.8ft

So the distance from the building is approximately 94.8ft. To find the angle for the second scenario, where the person moves 20ft further back, we can simply add 20ft to our previous result:

x + 20 = 114.8ft

And then use the tangent function again to solve for the angle:

tan^-1(y/(x+20)) ≈ 39.5 degrees

So the angle is approximately 39.5 degrees. Your approach of adding the distance to the previous result and using the tangent function to find the angle is correct. Great job!

1. What is the difference between sine, cosine, and tangent?

Sine, cosine, and tangent are all trigonometric functions used to calculate the ratio of sides in a right triangle. Sine (sin) is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cosine (cos) is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tangent (tan) is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

2. How do I use the Pythagorean theorem to solve trigonometric equations?

The Pythagorean theorem, a^2 + b^2 = c^2, is used to find the missing side of a right triangle. In trigonometry, this theorem can be used to solve for the opposite or adjacent side by using the sine, cosine, or tangent function in combination with the given angle.

3. What is the unit circle and how is it used in trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. In trigonometry, the unit circle is used to define the values of sine, cosine, and tangent at different angles. The coordinates of a point on the unit circle represent the values of the sine and cosine functions, while the tangent function is the ratio of the sine and cosine values at a given angle.

4. How do I use inverse trigonometric functions to solve equations?

Inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent, are used to find the angle given the ratio of sides in a right triangle. These functions are the inverse of the sine, cosine, and tangent functions, respectively, and can be found on a calculator. When using inverse trigonometric functions, it is important to determine which quadrant the angle is in to ensure the correct solution is found.

5. How can I check my trigonometric calculations?

When solving trigonometric equations, it is important to check your work to ensure accuracy. One way to check your calculations is to use a calculator to find the value of the trigonometric function at the given angle. Another method is to use the Pythagorean theorem to ensure the sides of the right triangle satisfy the equation a^2 + b^2 = c^2.