Calculating Building Height Using Trigonometry | Surveyor's Method

• Thread starter anthonym44
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary: I'll double check my calculations and make sure I got it right.In summary, a surveyor measures the angle from the horizonal ground to the top of a tall building at pi/3 and then paces 40ft further away where the angle is measured to be pi/4. The height of the building can be calculated using the equations 40 + x = y and tan(60) = y/x. If the surveyor moves 20 feet further from the building, the angle from the horizontal to the building's roof will be 39.5 degrees.
anthonym44
A surveyor stands on flat ground at an unknown distance from a tall building. She measures the angle from the horizonal ground to the top of the building; this angle is pi/3. next she paces 40ft further away from the building. the angle from the ground to the top of the building is now measured to be pi/4.
a)how tall is the building
b) If the surveyor moves 20 feet further from the building what will the angle from the horizontal to the building's roof be.

The Attempt at a Solution

i think i got this one right, but I am new to the site so i thought i would just check myself with this problem. i got equation 40 + x = y beause the horizontal axis must equal the vertical when the angle is 45 degrees (pi/4). Then i used tan(60) = y/x to solve for x and then i subsituted eventually solving for y. my final answer is 94.8ft. part B asks for the angle if the person moves further back 20 ft. i just added that length to 94.8 and used tan to solve eventually getting the angle to be 39.5 degrees. If anyone has the time can they check the work to make sure i did it correctly? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup, that's right. I get something closer to 94.6 ft for the height though.

thanks for your help Dick.

1. How do you use trigonometry to calculate building height?

To calculate building height using trigonometry, you will need to measure the distance from the base of the building to a point on the building's top where you can accurately measure the angle of elevation. Then, using this distance and angle, you can use trigonometric functions such as tangent or sine to find the height of the building.

2. What is the surveyor's method for calculating building height?

The surveyor's method for calculating building height involves using a theodolite, which is a precise surveying instrument, to measure the angle of elevation from a known distance away from the building. This angle, along with the distance, can then be used in trigonometric calculations to find the building's height.

3. What tools are needed for the surveyor's method?

The surveyor's method requires a theodolite, which measures angles, and a measuring tape or rangefinder to determine the distance from the building. In addition, a calculator or trigonometric tables may be needed to perform the necessary calculations.

4. What is the accuracy of using trigonometry to calculate building height?

The accuracy of using trigonometry to calculate building height depends on the accuracy of the measurements taken and the precision of the instruments used. Generally, the surveyor's method is considered to be fairly accurate, with potential errors of a few feet depending on the distance and angle measured.

5. Can the surveyor's method be used for all types of buildings?

Yes, the surveyor's method can be used for most types of buildings as long as there is a clear line of sight to accurately measure the angle of elevation. However, for very tall or irregularly shaped buildings, additional techniques or equipment may be needed to ensure accuracy.