1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc two help please

1. Feb 8, 2005 #1
    Calc two help please :(

Ok, I have the following two problems:

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \ \int_0^1 \ e^{tan^-1(t)} \ dt \\\\
    [/tex]

and

[tex]
    \int \ \frac{Sin[x]}{1+x^2} \ dx

[/tex]

I have tried to do substitution on both and integration by parts on the second one but nothing seems to work. If I could just get some pointers in the right direction on where to start that would be awesome, thanks a lot.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1.Are you sure about the first...?In the form posted,it's zero...
    2.It's not an integral solvable in the "family" of "elementary"functions.

Daniel.

4. Feb 8, 2005 #3
    1. I am not sure why its 0, but that is the form the problem is in and 0 is what I got when I did it in Mathematica. I am not really sure on how to go about evaluating it though as if I do U substitution I get x in my denominator.

2.If it makes any difference it is actually an definite integral with lower limit -1 and upper limit 1. I don't think that should make a difference however.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2005
  5. Feb 8, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OMG,for #2,it MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE...The integral is zero for symmetry reasons...

1.the first integral,in the form u posted is a number.The derivative of a number wrt any variable (x,y,z,t,...) is IDENTICALLY ZERO.

Daniel.

6. Feb 8, 2005 #5
    Thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?