1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calc word problem

1. Sep 11, 2013 #1

ufs

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "1. The net change, C, in the energy level of a forging animal over a period of time t is equal to the energy intake, I, minus the energy expended, E: C= I-E
    Suppose that the energy intake (per unit time, j>0, is a constant. Then, over a time interval t, the total energy intake is I=jt.
    Further, suppose that B is the basal metabolic rate, and f is the energy required for foraging activity per unit time t, (where B, f>0 are constants). Then the total energy required to forage for time t is
    E= ft+B.

a) Determine the time at which energy intake I balances energy spent, E i.e the time at which the net change in the energy level is zero.

b) What conditions must be satisfied by the constants f and j (other than f,j>0) defined above for your answer to be biologically meaningful?

c)Explain your answer in (b): what is this saying about the foraging?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a) C= I-E
    0=I-E
    0=(jt)-E
    E/j=t

b) Im not sure what it wants but this is what I did randomly.

E-B/t=f and I/t=j

c) Not sure on what to say due to (b)
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The wording is certainly confusing.
    I think there are two time variables implied. One is for a period of existence, while the other is for a period of foraging within that. The first mention of 't' is for existence, while the rest are for foraging (the period of existence now being taken as 1). Thus, although B is described as a rate, it appears in the equation as a quantity of energy (having been multiplied by a unit period of existence).
    To untangle this, let's introduce T as a period of existence, and let h be the fraction of time spent foraging. Thus t = hT. Presumably the energy intake rate, j, only applies while foraging.
    We now have that the average rate of expending energy is B+hf, while the average rate of obtaining energy is hj. To put it another way, in time T, energy intake is jt = hjT, while energy expenditure is BT+ft = BT + hfT.
    Does that help?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted