Why do polar coordinates give different answers for this limit problem?

• Thread starter tohauz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a limit using polar coordinates and how it differs from finding the limit using straight lines. The question of whether the limit exists and the potential mistake in the approach is also mentioned.
tohauz
hi.
Spse you want to find limf(x,y) as (x,y)->0.
You can use polar coordinates and get
limf(rcost,rsint) as r->0. And these limits are same.
Now, i initially thought that
1)if limf(rcost,rsint)is independent of t,then limit
exists and is equal tolimf(x,y) as (x,y)->0.
2)If it depends on t, then limit DNE.
But, i did this limits using these methods and got different answers:
limit(xy^{4}/x^{2}+y^{8}) as (x,y)->0.
So if you try x=y^{4} path, you get 0.5
y=0 path, you get 0. So DNE
if you convert into polar, you get zero.

Where is the mistake??
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot tell you whether your limit exists or not, but I can tell you why you get different answers. In polar coordinates, when you take the limit as r -> 0 and t is fixed, you are "only" checking the limit along straight lines. It is equivalent to checking x = m y only.

I don't know whether or not that's sufficient for the limit to exist. But when you graph your function in close neighborhoods of (0,0), the limit seems to be (0,0) indeed.

1. What is a limit in CalcIII and how is it different from CalcI and CalcII?

A limit in CalcIII is a value that a function or sequence approaches as the independent variable approaches a certain value. In CalcI and CalcII, limits are typically only considered for functions with one variable, while in CalcIII they can also be applied to functions with multiple variables.

2. How do you solve limit problems in CalcIII?

To solve a limit problem in CalcIII, you first need to determine whether the limit exists. If it does, you can use algebraic or graphical methods to evaluate the limit, such as factoring, rationalizing the numerator or denominator, or using L'Hopital's rule. For more complex functions, you may need to use numerical techniques or a graphing calculator.

3. What are the different types of limits in CalcIII?

The different types of limits in CalcIII include one-sided limits, where the function approaches a certain value from either the left or right side, and multivariable limits, where the function approaches a certain value as multiple independent variables approach specific values.

4. How do limits relate to continuity in CalcIII?

In CalcIII, a function is continuous at a point if and only if the limit of the function at that point exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point. This means that continuity is closely related to the concept of limits, as the existence and evaluation of a limit can determine whether a function is continuous at a specific point.

5. Can limits be used to evaluate infinite sums in CalcIII?

Yes, in CalcIII, limits can be used to evaluate infinite sums, also known as series. By taking the limit of a partial sum of a series as the number of terms approaches infinity, you can determine whether the series converges to a finite value or diverges to infinity. This is known as the limit comparison test.