1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calcium Carbonate equilibrium

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    Calcium Carbonate is heated in a closed vessel, and an equilibrium is reached.

CaCO3 (s) <=> CaO(s) + CO2 (g)
    At 500 C the equilibrium pressure of carbon dioxide is 1.2*10^-3 atm and at 1000 C it is 3.87 atm.
    what is the equilibrium constant for this reaction at 500 C? :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try posting your questions in the chemistry subforum here at PF (I don't have the time to help you at the moment).
  4. Jun 13, 2005 #3
    I'm not really good at chemistry but isn't it 1.2*10^-3? The only gas around is CO2 so writing the equlibrium formula gives CO2's pressure. This probably isn't right but how to do it?
  5. Jun 14, 2005 #4
    The equilibrium formula refers to concentration not pressure of a liquid. Is it the same for a gas? or is the pressure used in the case of a gas?
  6. Jun 14, 2005 #5
    I think I got it right now. Since PV=nRT, P=MRT. Thus, M=P/RT. I think you can do the rest.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?