Calculate Amplitude using Decibels

In summary, the speaker has an assignment to compare wave interference and will use decibel readings and a reference amplitude of 60 to calculate the task. They have derived formulas for this task but are confused and seeking help.
ninjamidget
I have got an assignment in which i need to compare wave interference, so i am going to use decibels readings which i had gotten from experiments and the reference amplitude which is 60 to calculate this very very confusing task.

i have gotten these formulas derived from which i derived from the original formula
A= AR/20log10 x dB
A= -20log10/AR x Db

i am WAY off and so confused with this, would really require help

Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be greatly appreciated

I do not understand what the task is. Do you know the dB reading with respect to a reference -is that "60" amplitude or intensity? -and want to find the amplitude of the resultant wave?

What is the formula for calculating amplitude using decibels?

The formula for calculating amplitude using decibels is amplitude = 10^(dB/20), where dB is the decibel value.

Why do we use decibels to measure amplitude?

Decibels are used to measure amplitude because they represent a logarithmic scale, meaning they can accurately measure a wide range of values from very small to very large, without losing precision.

What is the reference point for decibel measurements?

The reference point for decibel measurements is usually the threshold of human hearing, which is considered to be 0 decibels.

Can decibels be negative?

Yes, decibels can be negative. Negative decibel values indicate a decrease in amplitude, while positive decibel values indicate an increase in amplitude.

How does amplitude in decibels relate to sound intensity?

Amplitude in decibels is a logarithmic representation of sound intensity. This means that for every 10 decibels increase in amplitude, the sound intensity is multiplied by 10.