Calculate an Integral: Intro to Superconductivity by M. Tinkham

• Thread starter vatlychatran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, M. Tinkham shows that the attractive interaction between electrons is due to the negative V_{kk'} needed for superconductivity.
vatlychatran
In the book Introduction to Superconductivity by M. Tinkham, there is an integral as shown below. Could you help me to derive the result? Thanks a lot!

"3.2 ORIGIN OF THE ATTRACTIVE INTERACTION
We now must examine the origin of the negative [tex]V_{kk'}[/tex] needed for superconductivity. If we take the bare Coulomb interaction [tex]V(\vec{r})= e^2/r[/tex] and carry out the computation of [tex]V(\vec{q})[/tex]
[tex]V(\vec{q}) = V(\vec{k}-\vec{k'}) = V_{\vec{k}\vec{k'}} = \Omega^{-1}\int V(\vec{r})e^{i\vec{q}.\vec{r}}d\vec{r}[/tex]
we find
[tex]V(\vec{q}) =\frac{4\pi e^2}{\Omega q^2}[/tex]"

Physics news on Phys.org
not 100% sure but if its a volume integral, that's where the 4pi comes from
(dhpi from 0 to 2pi = 2pi and sin(theta) from 0 to pi = 2. so somehow the other bit must equal e^2/q^2?

You are right about the value 4pi. When I change to spherical coordinates, I get this value from theta and phi, but I had to assume that [tex]cos(\vec{q},\vec{r})[/tex] (this is from dot product) is not a function of theta and phi.
In fact, I'm not clear with the calculation of M. Tinkham in some points. There is no information about the angle between q and r. He doesn't say about the interval of the integral, and I assume that r runs from 0 to infinite then I will have a result in which terms relating to the upper limit do not vanish. I can set upper limit to certain value because there is something like screening phenomenon but the result is not vanish. For the other term, It seems to be [tex]-\frac{1}{q^2}[/tex].
I like the way leading to this problem because it is pedagogic but solving it makes me annoy. Hope someone can help me.

Last edited:
V(k) ≡ Ω-1 ∫ (e2/r) eik·x d3x

Integrate by parts twice:

= Ω-1 ∫ ∇2 (e2/r) (-1/k2)eik·x d3x

and since ∇2(1/r) = 4π δ3(x),

V(k) = 4πe2/(Ωk2)

Bill_K said:
V(k) ≡ Ω-1 ∫ (e2/r) eik·x d3x

Integrate by parts twice:

= Ω-1 ∫ ∇2 (e2/r) (-1/k2)eik·x d3x

and since ∇2(1/r) = 4π δ3(x),

V(k) = 4πe2/(Ωk2)

thank you so much!

hi vatlychatran! :smile:

alternatively, convert to spherical coordinates, with the "North Pole" in the q direction, and it's a straightforward integration (no parts) :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi vatlychatran! :smile:

alternatively, convert to spherical coordinates, with the "North Pole" in the q direction, and it's a straightforward integration (no parts) :wink:

Hi tiny-tim, from your instructions I get this
[tex]V(\textbf{q})=\frac{4\pi e^2}{\Omega q^2}(1-\cos{qR})[/tex]

in which R is upper limit of r. I don't know how remove the term cos(qR) but at least I get one important thing that [tex]V(\textbf{q})\geq 0[/tex].
Thanks a lot because from your instructions I understand another thing.

Last edited:
hi vatlychatran! :wink:
vatlychatran said:
… I don't know how remove the term cos(qR) …

shouldn't it be something like qRcosθ, with the cos disappearing on taking the θ limits? :redface:

can you show how you got that? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
hi vatlychatran! :wink:

shouldn't it be something like qRcosθ, with the cos disappearing on taking the θ limits? :redface:

can you show how you got that? :smile:

Of course, wait me, cos(qR) is from the integral of (exp(-iqr)-exp(iqr)) or (-2isin(qr)). Wait me for details

[tex]V(\textbf{q})=\frac{1}{\Omega}\int \frac{e^2}{r} e^{i\textbf{q.r}}d\textbf{r}[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{e^2}{\Omega}\int \frac{1}{r} e^{iq.r.\cos\theta}r^2 \sin\theta d\theta d\phi dr[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{e^2}{\Omega}\int e^{iq.r.\cos\theta}r \sin\theta d\theta d\phi dr[/tex]
For \phi, I have [tex]\int_0^{2\pi} d\phi=2\pi[/tex]
For \theta, I have [tex]\int_0^\pi e^{iq.r.\cos\theta} \sin\theta d\theta [/tex]
[tex]=-\int_0^\pi e^{iq.r.\cos\theta} d(\cos\theta)[/tex]
[tex]=-\frac{1}{iqr} e^{iq.r.\cos\theta}|^{\pi}_{0} [/tex]
[tex]=-\frac{1}{iqr} (e^{-iq.r}-e^{iq.r})[/tex]
[tex]=-\frac{1}{iqr} (-2i \sin(qr))[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{2}{qr} \sin(qr)[/tex]
Then I have
[tex]V(\textbf{q})=\frac{4\pi e^2}{\Omega} \int_0^R \frac{1}{qr}\sin(qr)rdr[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{4\pi e^2}{\Omega} \int_0^R \frac{1}{q}\sin(qr)dr[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{4\pi e^2}{\Omega} \frac{-1}{q^2}\cos(qr)|_0^R[/tex]
[tex]=\frac{4\pi e^2}{\Omega q^2}(1-\cos{qR})[/tex]
That is my result.

Last edited:

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a function over a certain range or interval.

2. How is an integral calculated?

Integrals are calculated using techniques such as Riemann sums, the fundamental theorem of calculus, and various integration rules and formulas. They can also be solved using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule.

3. What is superconductivity?

Superconductivity is a phenomenon in which certain materials exhibit zero electrical resistance when cooled below a certain temperature. It also allows for perfect conductivity and unique magnetic properties.

4. What is the significance of superconductivity?

Superconductivity has many practical applications, including in medical imaging, power generation and transmission, and high-speed transportation systems. It also has significant implications for research in physics, materials science, and engineering.

5. How is superconductivity related to integrals?

The study of superconductivity often involves the use of integrals to analyze and model the behavior of superconducting materials. Integrals are used to calculate important properties such as critical currents and magnetic flux in superconductors. Additionally, the theory of superconductivity is based on quantum mechanics, which heavily relies on the use of integrals.