1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate Angular Frequency,

1. Dec 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to caluclate the angular freequency, given that I've only been given various values for the problem.

Radius 2.0 m, Force applied for 5 s = 94 N. 4 objects each at 90°, each weighing 19kg, and at 1.9m from the axis.

From this, I've calulated the values of the the moment of inertia, and the total torque.

I thought we may need angular frequency to get the momentum, so thought I'd start here.

2. Relevant equations

L = Iω

3. The attempt at a solution

Not sure how to get the frequency from the values I've been given. I know you guys dont give the answers, but tips would be helpful.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, are the masses 1.9m or 2.0m from the axis?

4. Dec 12, 2011 #3
    The disk radius is 2.0m, the masses are at 1.9m from the axis.

5. Dec 12, 2011 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm wondering what the point of giving the radius is. Did they specify any mass for the disc, or just the 4 masses?

Where is the force applied?

6. Dec 12, 2011 #5
    Force is applied tangently, to the rim, therefore at the 2.0 m. Ignore the mass of the disk.

7. Dec 12, 2011 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, we progress.

OK, so can you figure out how much torque is applied about the table axis during those
    5 seconds?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook