Calculate centre of rotation

• Thread starter yasith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary: The math can get more complicated if you need to account for other factors like translation and scaling.In summary, to calculate the centre of rotation for an object rotating in 3D space with no translation, you can use the cross product of the two vectors representing the initial and final points to find the rotation axis, and the dot product of the two points to find the rotation angle. This method is based on principles of 3D geometry and can be adjusted for other factors if needed.
yasith
Dear all,

I have a problem that I need to solve. (I have made posts previously about this as well). Quite simply now I have an object that rotates in 3D space (No translation). I have coordinates of 3 points before and after rotation. Using this data how can I calculate its centre of rotation?

Thank you very much for your input.

Regards
Yasith

Physics news on Phys.org
yasith said:
Dear all,

I have a problem that I need to solve. (I have made posts previously about this as well). Quite simply now I have an object that rotates in 3D space (No translation). I have coordinates of 3 points before and after rotation. Using this data how can I calculate its centre of rotation?

Thank you very much for your input.

Regards
Yasith

Hey yasith and welcome to the forums.

The simple answer is to to get the rotation axis and the rotation angle.

Short version is to take the cross product of the two vectors (i.e. vectors represented by the two points) and normalize this vector to get the rotation axis.

To get the angle you need to use the dot product of the two points, divide by the product of the lengths and then take the inverse cosine of the result (which will always be between -1 and +1 inclusive).

In the cross product, the first point should be the original and the second point should be the final point (i.e. in axis = A X B, A is original, B is final point).

That's the simple answer, and it's based on principles of 3D geometry.

1) What is the definition of centre of rotation?

The centre of rotation is the point around which an object rotates or moves in a circular motion. It is a fixed point in space that remains constant as the object moves.

2) How do you calculate the centre of rotation?

The centre of rotation can be calculated by finding the average position of all points on the object as it rotates. This can be done by measuring the distance from each point to a fixed reference point and then finding the average of these distances.

3) What is the importance of knowing the centre of rotation?

Knowing the centre of rotation can help in understanding the motion of an object and predicting its future trajectory. It is also important in designing and analyzing mechanical systems, such as gears and pulleys, that involve rotational motion.

4) Can the centre of rotation change?

Yes, the centre of rotation can change if the object's motion or shape is altered. However, for objects with a fixed shape and uniform motion, the centre of rotation remains constant.

5) How is the centre of rotation related to the axis of rotation?

The centre of rotation is the point on the axis of rotation that remains fixed as the object rotates. This means that the axis of rotation passes through the centre of rotation and is perpendicular to the plane of rotation.