Calculate Change of Energy of an Electron Changing Energy Levels in a Atom in Calculu

1. How do I write this in calculus notation?

[delta]E = (-2.178 x 10^(-18) J) / (n^2 - n_0^2)

were [delta] is the Greek letter delta used to represent change of
    E = Energy
    -2.178 x 10^(-18) J = Different form of Rydberg's constant
    J is the unit for work Joules
    n = energy level of an atom
    n_0 = n naught, energy level at time T = 0

Thank you for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. LCKurtz

LCKurtz 8,390
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Calculate Change of Energy of an Electron Changing Energy Levels in a Atom in Cal

Click on the expression below to see how to render it in TeX, if that's what you are asking:

[tex]\Delta E =\frac{-2.718\cdot 10^{-18}}{n^2 - n_0^2}[/tex]

4. Re: Calculate Change of Energy of an Electron Changing Energy Levels in a Atom in Cal

I was actually just asking how to write in calculus notation with derivatives and such if they apply here as this equation just seems to simple if you know what I mean.

5. Re: Calculate Change of Energy of an Electron Changing Energy Levels in a Atom in Cal

I just thought that the equation can be simplified by expressing it in calculus notation as it just seems way to simple and I'm seeing two changes, a change in energy and a change in energy levels within the equation so my initial thoughts were that it could rewritten...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?