Calculate Conductivity Temperature Dependence in Semiconductors

In summary: T});semilogy(T, conc);In summary, the conversation was about plotting the conductivity dependence of temperature and encountering issues with obtaining the right dependency of mu and n. The focus was on carrier concentration and the code provided used incorrect equations and had a few errors that needed to be corrected in order to produce the desired plot.
mcas
Homework Statement
Write a Matlab code that plots the conductivity dependence of temperature for a semiconductor.
Relevant Equations
[itex]\sigma = q(n\mu_n + p\mu_p[/itex]
[itex]\frac{1}{\mu} = \frac{1}{\mu_I} + \frac{1}{\mu_L} [/itex]
[itex] n \approx 2N_D \left(1 + \sqrt{1 + 4\frac{N_D}{N_C}e^{E_d / kT}}\right)^{-1}[/itex]
I have to plot the conductivity dependence of temperature and I have problems with obtaining the right dependency of [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]n[/itex]. But let's focus only on carrier concentration first.
For [itex]n[/itex] I used the third equation. From what I understand [itex]N_D[/itex] is a constant. I want my plot to look like this:
1649000343165.png

But instead, it looks like this:
1649000364135.png

Here is the code:
carrier concentration calculation:
n_0 = 4.0*10^(15);
N_c = @(x) 6.2 * 10^15 * x^(3/2);
N_v = @(x) 3.5 * 10^15 * x^(3/2);
E_g = @(x) 1.17 - 4.73 *10^(-4) * x^2 / (x + 636);
k = 8.61733262*10^(-5);

n_i = @(x) sqrt(N_c(x) * N_v(x)) * exp(- E_g(x)./ (2 * x.*k));

E_F = @(x) k * x* log(n_i(x).\n_0) + E_g(x)./ 2;

E_d = @(x) E_g(x)- E_F(x);

n_D = 10^20;

n = @(x) 2 * n_D* (1 + sqrt(1 + 4 * n_D ./ N_c(x).* exp(E_d(x) ./ (x.*k)))).\1;

T = logspace(-5, 5);
conc = subs(n, {x}, {T});
semilogy(T.\1, conc);

The calculations are made for silicon. I really don't know why I can't get this right.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your code and explaining your issue. From a quick look, it seems like you have a few errors in your code that may be causing the discrepancy in your plot.

Firstly, in your definition of E_F, you have a period instead of a multiplication sign between k and x in the log function. This should be corrected to k*x*log(n_i(x)/n_0) in order to properly calculate E_F.

Secondly, in your definition of E_d, you have a forward slash instead of a division sign between E_g(x) and 2. This should be corrected to E_g(x)/2 in order to properly calculate E_d.

Additionally, it seems like you are using the wrong equation for n. The equation you are using is for the total carrier concentration, which includes both electrons and holes. However, for the plot you want to create, you only need the electron concentration, which would be given by n = n_D / (1 + sqrt(1 + 4*n_D/N_c(x)*exp(E_d(x)/(x*k)))). This equation can be derived from the original equation you used for n by substituting n_D for the total carrier concentration N and assuming that the majority carrier is electrons.

With these corrections, your code should look like this:

n_0 = 4.0*10^(15);
N_c = @(x) 6.2 * 10^15 * x^(3/2);
N_v = @(x) 3.5 * 10^15 * x^(3/2);
E_g = @(x) 1.17 - 4.73 *10^(-4) * x^2 / (x + 636);
k = 8.61733262*10^(-5);

n_i = @(x) sqrt(N_c(x) * N_v(x)) * exp(- E_g(x)./ (2 * x.*k));

E_F = @(x) k*x*log(n_i(x)/n_0) + E_g(x)/2;

E_d = @(x) E_g(x)/2 - E_F(x);

n_D = 10^20;

n = @(x) n_D / (1 + sqrt(1 + 4*n_D/N_c(x).*exp(E_d(x)/(x*k))));

T = logspace(-5, 5);
conc = subs(n, {x},

1. How does temperature affect the conductivity of semiconductors?

The conductivity of semiconductors increases with increasing temperature. This is because at higher temperatures, more electrons are able to break free from their bound state and contribute to the conductivity of the material.

2. What is the formula for calculating the temperature dependence of conductivity in semiconductors?

The formula for calculating the temperature dependence of conductivity in semiconductors is given by: σ(T) = σ(0) * e^(-Eg/2kT), where σ(T) is the conductivity at a given temperature, σ(0) is the conductivity at 0K, Eg is the band gap energy, k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. How does the band gap energy affect the temperature dependence of conductivity in semiconductors?

The band gap energy has an inverse relationship with the temperature dependence of conductivity in semiconductors. As the band gap energy increases, the temperature dependence decreases, and vice versa.

4. Can the temperature dependence of conductivity in semiconductors be experimentally measured?

Yes, the temperature dependence of conductivity in semiconductors can be experimentally measured by conducting a series of conductivity measurements at different temperatures and then plotting the data to determine the relationship between conductivity and temperature.

5. How is the temperature dependence of conductivity used in practical applications?

The temperature dependence of conductivity is an important factor in the design and operation of electronic devices, such as transistors and diodes. It is also used in the development of thermistors, which are temperature-sensitive resistors used in temperature measurement and control systems.