Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate convection movement.

1. Aug 14, 2013 #1
    Calculating convection movement.

Is there a simple way of calculating the mass flow inside a torus as a result of a difference in temperature.
    Asuming the torus is placed vertically and the heat source and sink placed in this way.
    Thank you very much.

Cold side
    ( o )
    Hot Side

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2013 #2
    If your torus is made of solid material there would be no mass flow, just heat flow via conduction.

4. Aug 15, 2013 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How could that involve the "mass flow" in the OP?

5. Aug 15, 2013 #4
    Mass flow of what?
    OP did not specify if the torus is hollow and filled with fluid and of what type.
    Is it a thin or thick shell torus?
    Is the shell an insulator or a conductor of heat?
    Is the torus completely filled with a liquid fluid? or gaseous?
    Is a percentage of the volume of a hollow torus liquid and the rest vapour?
    if so, does the temperature of the liquid reach boiling.
    If so, will the cooling surface result in condensation of the fluid.
    Etc

I choose the simplest case possible cuz i am basically lazy.

6. Aug 15, 2013 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It was the way I took it, from the start. It was the only way which could elicit any sensible response at all. I think you were just a bit scratchy about it, to be honest. Don't we actually expect some sloppily thought out questions on PF? Half the problem can be stating the question in the best way.
    You say you are lazy. I am certainly too lazy to try to work out a solution to the problem the OP was getting at. Far too hard and with far too many variables. But there would be solutions out there somewhere.

7. Aug 15, 2013 #6
    Yes, Sophiecentaur. Analysis of a problem and determination of conditions under which certain variables are important and others can be neglected can be the most difficult part of the process.
    If the OP defines his scenario with some more detail it would not hurt to do so.

8. Aug 16, 2013 #7
    Ok ok people, yes, it's a hollow torus. I didn't specify thickness or fluid inside because I was looking for a general answer, however if you have any data for specific cases (e.g. water fluid, air, anything or specific thickness or material of the torus (maybe an ideal heat insulator)) I would like it too.
    Thanks again.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  9. Aug 24, 2013 #8
    Well, I just want to know the maximum Carnot efficiency an hypothetical engine running on convective movement, so ideal conditions can be assumed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook