1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate crater diameter

1. Apr 9, 2008 #1
    An asteroid with a diameter of 500km has an impact strength of 4000J/kg. What is the largest sized crater diameter which can be formed without melting the asteroid? The asteroid has a density of 3.5 g/cm^3 and the impact velocity is 5km/sec

I have a few formulas:

The asteroid will not melt if: kinetic energy < mass* impact strength

and, crater diameter is proportional to W^(1/3)

I have no information about the body being impacted so I don't know if I can use the formula for crater diameter as it requires information about the material strength of the body being impacted for an accurate answer.

I approximated the asteroid as a sphere (as I was given a diameter) and calculated the mass and the kinetic energy which I got to be : 2.875*10^27 Joules. However, the mass* impact strength is four orders of magnitude less.

I guess I'm not entirely sure how to approach this problem. Any suggestions?
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?