Calculating Maximum Crater Diameter for an Asteroid Impact

• Thread starter scatterbrain8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diameter
In summary, the conversation discusses the impact strength and density of an asteroid with a diameter of 500km, and the impact velocity of 5km/sec. The conversation also mentions formulas for calculating the largest sized crater diameter without melting the asteroid, but notes the lack of information about the body being impacted. The speaker approximates the asteroid as a sphere and calculates its mass and kinetic energy, but is unsure how to approach the problem without knowing other variables that may affect the impact.
scatterbrain8
An asteroid with a diameter of 500km has an impact strength of 4000J/kg. What is the largest sized crater diameter which can be formed without melting the asteroid? The asteroid has a density of 3.5 g/cm^3 and the impact velocity is 5km/sec

I have a few formulas:

The asteroid will not melt if: kinetic energy < mass* impact strength

and, crater diameter is proportional to W^(1/3)

I have no information about the body being impacted so I don't know if I can use the formula for crater diameter as it requires information about the material strength of the body being impacted for an accurate answer.

I approximated the asteroid as a sphere (as I was given a diameter) and calculated the mass and the kinetic energy which I got to be : 2.875*10^27 Joules. However, the mass* impact strength is four orders of magnitude less.

I guess I'm not entirely sure how to approach this problem. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not understand the question. It specifies the radius, density and impact velocity, yet asks for a maximum wrt … what? What other parameter can be varied that affects the impact?

1. How do you calculate the diameter of a crater?

To calculate the diameter of a crater, you can use the following formula: diameter = 2 x √(area/π). The area of the crater can be measured by multiplying its length and width.

2. What units should be used when calculating crater diameter?

The units used for calculating crater diameter depend on the units used to measure the length and width of the crater. Typically, the diameter is measured in meters or kilometers.

3. Can the diameter of a crater vary?

Yes, the diameter of a crater can vary depending on the size and force of the impact that created it. It can also vary due to erosion or other geological processes.

4. Are there any online tools available to calculate crater diameter?

Yes, there are various online tools and calculators available that can help you calculate the diameter of a crater. These tools use the same formula as mentioned in the first question.

5. How is calculating crater diameter useful in scientific research?

Calculating crater diameter can provide valuable information about the force and energy of an impact event. It can also help scientists understand the geological processes and history of a particular area or celestial body.