Calculating Current in a Wire with a Moving Charged Particle

In summary, the problem involves a particle with a charge of 2.5 μC moving parallel to a wire with a velocity of 1.0 × 103 m s−1. The particle experiences a force of magnitude 1.0 × 10−6 N at a distance of 1.5 mm from the wire. To calculate the current in the wire, we need to use the equation F = qvBsinθ and the expression for the magnetic field of a current-carrying wire. By applying the right-hand rule, we can determine the direction of the magnetic field at the location of the particle and solve for the current, i.
Capacitance

Homework Statement

[/B]
Suppose the particle has a charge q = 2.5 μC and is moving with a velocity of magnitude v = 1.0 × 103 m s−1, in a direction parallel to the wire and in the same direction as the current. The particle is at distance d = 1.5 mm from the wire and experiences a force of magnitude 1.0 × 10−6 N. Calculate the current in the wire. Draw a diagram to indicate the direction of the force on the particle.

Homework Equations

F = qvBsin

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no idea how to tackle this. I'm not even sure that I'm using the correct equation. This question follows another which asks for an expression for the magnitude of the magnetic field strength, B, and just assumed that this eqn would apply here.

We have F, q, v and d, but not sure how we get i, and neither B to be honest. Some hints and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You Relevant equation is relevant :) But you'll need more. Check your text, notes, or online for an expression that gives the magnitude of the magnetic field for a current-carrying wire. Google: "magnetic field of a current carrying wire" or "Magnetic fields of currents".

You may also want to review the right-hand rule for magnetic field direction due to a current or moving charge.

Thanks for the reply. Am I getting warmer here:

By using the value for B = μ0 (i) / 2 π r = 4πx10-7 (i) / 2 π r

we now have current, i, in the eqn F = qvBsinθ, and can now solve for i? Will sinθ be sin90?

Capacitance said:
Will sinθ be sin90?
What does the right-hand rule tell you about the direction of the magnetic field at the location of the particle?

What is current and how is it measured?

Current is the flow of electric charge through a wire or conductor. It is measured in units of amperes (A) using an ammeter, which is placed in series with the wire to measure the amount of current passing through it.

How do you calculate current in a wire?

Current can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R) in a circuit. This can be written as I = V/R. To calculate current in a wire, you need to know the voltage across the wire and the resistance of the wire.

What factors affect the current in a wire?

The current in a wire is affected by the voltage applied to the wire, the resistance of the wire, and the length and thickness of the wire. Other factors that can affect the current include the temperature and material of the wire.

How does current flow in a wire?

Current flows from the positive terminal of a power source, through a wire or conductor, and back to the negative terminal of the power source. It is important to note that current flows in a closed loop, meaning it must have a complete path to flow through.

What are some real-world applications of calculating current in a wire?

Calculating current is essential in many real-world applications, including electrical circuits, power grids, and electronic devices. It is used to ensure that the correct amount of current is flowing through a wire to power devices and to prevent overloading and potential hazards.