Calc EMF Induced in Flat Circular Coil: 100T, 10cm Radius

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the EMF induced in a flat, circular coil with 100 turns of wire and a radius of 10cm, in the presence of a uniform magnetic field increasing at a rate of 0.1 T/s. The solution involves using Faraday's law and finding the EMF induced in one turn of the wire, then multiplying by 100. The key is to use the correct formula for the magnetic flux, which is the product of the magnetic field and the area of the coil.
Andromache
A flat, circular coil has 100 turns of wire, each of radius 10cm. A uniform magnetic field exists in a direction perpendicular to plane of coil. The field is increasing at a rate of 0.1 T/s. Calculate the EMF induced in the coil.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm awful with electromagnetism.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know Faraday's law? This is a pretty straight forward application of Faraday's law. Just do the EMF induced in 1 turn of the wire, and then multiply by 100 since there's 100 turns. It's just that simple.

It's finding the EMF induced in one turn that's the problem. I know EMF=-d[tex]\Phi[/tex]/dt but I don't know how to find that when I'm just given the rate of increase of B.

[tex]\Phi=\int_S{BdA}[/tex]

Now, since the B field is constant over that surface, and is perpendicular to that surface:

[tex]\Phi=B*A[/tex]

Therefore

[tex]\frac{d\Phi}{dt}=\frac{d(B*A)}{dt}[/tex]

Can you figure it out from there?

Thanks for your help. Iurns out I was using the circumference rather than the area, which was giving me the wrong answer!

What is EMF?

EMF stands for electromagnetic force, which is the force that results from the interaction between electric and magnetic fields. In the case of a flat circular coil, EMF is induced when the coil is exposed to a changing magnetic field.

How is EMF induced in a flat circular coil?

EMF is induced in a flat circular coil when the coil is exposed to a changing magnetic field. This change in magnetic field creates a flow of electrons within the coil, resulting in the production of an electromotive force.

What is the significance of 100T and 10cm radius in the description of the coil?

The value of 100T refers to the strength of the magnetic field that the coil is exposed to. This means that the higher the value of T, the stronger the magnetic field. The 10cm radius indicates the size of the coil, which can affect the amount of EMF induced.

How is the EMF induced in a flat circular coil calculated?

The EMF induced in a flat circular coil can be calculated using the formula: EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the coil and (dΦ/dt) is the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the coil. The unit for EMF is volts (V).

What are some real-world applications of EMF induced in a flat circular coil?

EMF induced in a flat circular coil has many applications, such as in generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in devices such as metal detectors and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.