1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate flexural stress

1. Oct 28, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    so the question I got from my teacher is:
    A cast iron pipe of external diameter 60mm and 10 mm thickness and 5 m long is supported at its ends. The pipe carries a point load of 100N at its centre. Calculate the maximun flexural stress induced?

2. Relevant equations

I think that the relevant eqn to be used should be
    M/I=σ/y=ε/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have the equation but dont really know how to solve it as I was not able to get any example....please help

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How hard did you look?

If you are taking a structural analysis course, you should have a textbook or some notes. Did you do any work at all besides log onto PF?

4. Oct 28, 2013 #3
    yes I did, we dont use any specific textbook, and if you do have some references it will be welcome,it is the first time I use such websites. I tried to watch some videos on youtube, and tried to have some information on google, but the explanation are so vast that Im not able to find out how to apply it to the question I have. I dont want you to do all the work....I just want an advice or a website where I can understand how flexural stress is calculated.

5. Oct 28, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted