1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculate for each field the work done in moving a particle

1. Feb 5, 2004 #1
    Problem:

Which, if either, of the two force fields F1=-yi+xj+zk, F2=yi+xj+zk is conservative? Calculate for each field the work done in moving a particle counterclockwise around the circle x=cos(t), y=sin(t) in the (x,y) plane.

Answer:

I got the part in telling if the force fields are conservative. F1 is not conservative because d/dx(Fy)-d/dy(Fx) is 2. F2 is conservative because everything is equal to zero.

How do I calculate the work done in each field? I don't get it.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If a force field is conservative, then work done is the difference in potential energy at the two end points. In particular, the work done in moving around a closed path is 0. (The work done in lifting a mass against gravity can be regained by dropping it back down.)

If a force field is not conservative, then you will have to integrate the dot product of the force with ds around the path.

In this case, x= cos(t), y= sin(t), z= 0, so ds= dxi+ dyj+ dzk=
    -sin(t)i+ cos(t)j+ 0k. F . ds= (-yi+xj+zk).(-sin(t)i+ cos(t)j+ 0k)
    = (-sin(t)i+ cos(t)j+0k).(-sin(t)i+ cos(t)j+ 0k)= sin22(t)+ cos2(t)= 1. The work done is just the integral of the constant 1 around the circle and so is just the circumference of the circle.

If you did integrate F2 in the same way, F2.ds= (yi+xj+zk).(-sin(t)i+ cos(t)j+ 0k)= (sin(t)i+cos(t)j).(-sin(t)i+ cos(t)j+ 0k)= cos2(t)- sin2(t)= cos(2t) and the integral of that around the circle (t going from 0 to 2π) is 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?