Calculate Friction based on v, t, m & F

In summary, a dragster with a mass of 800kg reaches a speed of 350km/h in 6.2s and generates a driving force of 1600N. Using the equation Fnet = ma, the force of friction acting on the car can be calculated to be approximately 10944N. However, the book rounded this number to 10900N.
ital_dj
[SOLVED] Calculate Friction based on v, t, m & F

Homework Statement

A dragster reaches 350km/h from rest in 6.2s. If the car is 800kg and generates a driving force of 1600N, find the force of friction acting on the car.

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried converting, and then got lost from there. 350km/h is now 97.2m/s. What do I do now? How do I get friction... I know it's got something to do with gravity.

I just found out the acceleration which is 15.68m/s[tex]^2[/tex]

Edit: I got 10944N for Ff, and the book is 10900N. I can't believe I'm even close, lol, but what did I do wrong? Or is it just the book rounding it, because I've found other numbers rounded.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The book rounded. You did it right if you got that answer.

Alrightt! Thanks... at least I'm catching on to some things, and won't fail that bad :)

1. How do you calculate friction using velocity, time, mass, and force?

To calculate friction, you can use the formula F = u * m * g, where F is the frictional force, u is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula is based on the fact that friction is directly proportional to the normal force and the coefficient of friction, and is also affected by the mass and acceleration of the object.

2. What is the coefficient of friction and how does it affect the calculation of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact. It is affected by various factors such as the roughness of the surfaces, the type of material, and the presence of lubricants. In the friction calculation, the coefficient of friction is multiplied by the normal force and the mass to determine the amount of frictional force acting on the object.

3. Can friction be negative and how is it interpreted?

Friction can be negative in certain cases where the direction of motion is opposite to the direction of the applied force. This can happen, for example, when an object is sliding down a ramp and the applied force is in the opposite direction of the motion. A negative friction value indicates that the motion is being assisted by the applied force rather than being resisted by friction.

4. How does the mass of the object affect the amount of friction?

The mass of the object has a direct impact on the amount of friction. Heavier objects have a greater amount of inertia and require a larger force to overcome the frictional force. This means that the frictional force will be higher for heavier objects compared to lighter objects, assuming all other factors such as the coefficient of friction and velocity remain constant.

5. Can you calculate the coefficient of friction if the other values are known?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can be calculated if the other values such as velocity, time, mass, and force are known. You can rearrange the formula F = u * m * g to solve for u, which would give you the coefficient of friction. However, this would require accurate and precise measurements of the other values, and it is recommended to directly measure the coefficient of friction using experimental methods.